How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented Patient Service Associate who will share in the goal of creating the ideal imaging experience for patients, families and employees.
*This candidate will be expected to rotate between locations on a limited, as needed basis, to assist with staffing.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Performs clerical duties as directed by supervisor or Lead.
- Utilize proper telephone skills in directing and transferring incoming calls.
- Accurately check in patients both remotely and in-person / Check-out patients and handle cash and credit card payments when necessary.
- Accurately enter patient, study and physician information into the radiology information system (Radiant) and be knowledgeable of the system as it pertains to your duties.
- Accurately enter codes and pertinent information.
- Be proficient in digital processes as they pertain to your duties: Epic Michart, faxing, scanners, and phones.
- Be proficient in work processes; assisting and directing patients as needed (responsible for General Imaging, CT, MRI, Breast Imaging, DEXA, and US); promptly handling all call reports & stat reads; monitoring patient flow and promptly expediting the same.
- Appropriately instruct and prep patients with oral contrast as needed, for CT/MRI/US exams.
- Answer incoming phone calls and triage to appropriate location.
- Accurately record any phone messages and assure they are forwarded appropriately.
- Perform entrance screening for patients and other customers.
- Have the ability to follow Radiology Gold Standard Customer Service guidelines consistently.
- Adhere to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility, and consistently sharing information and resources with others.
- Ability to work independently in an ever-changing and potentially stressful environment.
- Demonstrate dependability, initiative, ability to prioritize, and ability to accept direction.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Epic MiChart, Radiology Information System (Radiant) and McKesson.
- Promote personal comfort and convenience of patients and families by routinely checking their needs.
- Interact with patients, staff and providers in a spirit of customer service, cooperation and teamwork.
- Demonstrate proper leadership and communication skills when assisting patients, staff or providers with problem resolution.
- Maintains proper attendance.
- Maintain patient confidentiality and adhere to HIPAA guidelines.
- Dress appropriately and within departmental guidelines.
- Assist all co-workers, patients and interdepartmental staff as needed or as it pertains to your duties.
- Coordinate and schedule Radiology procedures.
- This PSA role also includes general preparation via confirmation calls for patients having MRI and Ultrasound exams, including proper instructions to patients in preparation for MRI and Ultrasound exams.
- Adapt to changing environments (flexible schedules, emergency conditions, changes in workflow, and technology advancements).
- Adhere to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility, and consistently sharing information and resources with others
- Ability to work independently in an ever-changing and potentially stressful environment
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, dependability, initiative, ability to prioritize, accept direction, and work hard
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Solid organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong skill dealing with multiple requests or tasks simultaneously
- Excellent attendance record
- High School diploma or equivalent
- 3 years of experience in customer service setting
- Experience within an ambulatory setting
- Experience with an electronic medical record, Radiant, and McKesson
- Previous experience in Radiology in the PSA role
- Previous experience working with similar modalities
- Knowledge of Michigan Medicine policies and procedures
- Medical terminology knowledge is a plus
20 – 40 hours Days, Evenings with Flex hours and weekend coverage
- Physical responsibilities include walking patients to and from the appropriate changing areas as needed. This can also include maneuvering patients in wheelchairs through hallways to appropriate changing areas.
- Assisting team members with tablet distribution, walking to waiting areas to assist patients with filling out questionnaires, and covering for breaks/lunches.
- Lifting and stocking of linens, oral contrast bottles, and unloading and stocking office supplies. Keeping the area clean and in compliance with TJC standards (cleaning workspaces, tablets, counter tops, wheelchairs, and patient waiting spaces).
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.