When the campus is open and staffing returns to normal within the department suite, help desk employees are required to greet visitors to the Office of Online & Digital Education, answer the department phones, and handle light office work. While the campus remains partially closed and the department is not open to the general public, it is expected that the help desk employee is able to complete the following duties from their home as a work-from-home employee.
Staffs the Online Help Desk during regular business hours or after-hours depending on schedule. Responds to phone and e-mail questions and problems related to the learning management system (LMS) and technologies supported by the Office of Online & Digital Education. Includes problem recognition, research, and resolution steps. Typically resolves basic problems while referring more complex problems to help desk coordinator and senior staff.
Provides support services such as creation of help guides and miscellaneous tasks as requested.
- Applicant must be a current UM-Flint student.
- High school education or equivalent and some college.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends to 11 p.m.
- Working knowledge of computer hardware and software.
- Experience using/supporting Blackboard or Canvas
- Good communication skills (both written and oral).
- Ability to learn quickly and manage time efficiently.
- Excellent customer service experience or attitude.
Experience with web conferencing tools; experience using Team Viewer or other remote programs; experience using screen capture software; experience using Mac computers; and experience providing help desk support.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.