Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The University of Michigan's Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), a unit within Student Life, is a multidisciplinary and multi-theoretical university counseling enter that services a diverse student body of over 48,000 students. CAPS provides culturally competent clinical services, outreach programming, and training opportunities.
Approximately 5,000 students each year receive individual clinical services at CAPS.
Open staff counseling positions would be located in our Central office or at specific schools/colleges on our campus and will work with the faculty and staff of that school/college. This is a 12-month permanent appointment. Starting date is negotiable, but ideally by August 2, 2021. This position reports to a CAPS Associate Director.
Clinical – 60%
- Individual and group counseling (including clinical documentation time)
- Crisis intervention
- Provide consultation to counseling center staff/trainees and UM staff and faculty
Training – 10%
- Active involvement in all training programs including supervision of trainees, and educational activities
Outreach and Community Engagement – 10%
Increasing awareness and decreasing stigma through campus-wide initiatives, psycho-educational workshops, tabling, attendance at campus events, and liaison services
Administrative – 20%
- Attend all center functions (staff meetings, clinical team meetings, work teams, retreats)
- Master’s or Doctoral degree in Social work.
- Licensed/license eligible in the State of Michigan. Must obtain full license within 2.5 years.
- Clinical experience with a college student/young adult population is required.
- Clinical experience in a college or university counseling center setting.
- We are also interested in adding the following areas of culturally competent clinical and outreach and community engagement programming expertise/experience/passion with college student populations in our agency work:
- ?Cultural/Race-Based Trauma
- Sexualized Violence
- Working with LatinX communities
- Working with DACAmented/Undocumented communities
- Working with BIPOC communities including queer and trans communities of coloro Working with Native American/Indigenous communities
- Demonstrated clinically experience with college student/young adult populations
- Expertise in psycho-educational programming and outreach with a focus on the context of college student life
- Demonstrated multicultural competency/work with diversity and difference in current professional role or professional-in-training role
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Paid time off for vacations, holidays, and sick time
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions after 12 months
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
About the Ann Arbor Community
Ann Arbor is a culturally diverse community with all the amenities of a large city in a small town setting. Detroit Metropolitan International Airport is 30 minutes away. The Great Lakes and numerous inland lakes offer a variety of recreational opportunities in a four-season climate. For further information about Ann Arbor, please visit https://www.visitannarbor.org/
The University of Michigan is a non-discriminatory, affirmative action employer. Minorities, persons with disabilities, and persons of all genders and sexual orientations are encouraged to apply.
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and Clery.
Salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and education of the selected candidate.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.