The University of Michigan Orthotics and Prosthetics Center is a large multi-disciplinary clinic dedicated to providing high quality orthotic and prosthetic services for adults and children. The 30,000 square foot facility is located at 2850 S. industrial Hwy, Ann Arbor, MI. We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individuals who will share in the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- State of the art technology and equipment
- Tremendous team support
- Supervising and mentorship opportunities
- Conduct research relative to new orthotic and prosthetic designs and outcomes
Why join the Michigan Medicine Orthotics and Prosthetics Team?
The Orthotics and Prosthetics Center at Michigan Medicine is one of the few University based facilities in the country that offers comprehensive orthotic and prosthetic services and has been awarded the maximum three-year accreditation by the American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics & Pedorthics. This rewarding position allows you to work with a professional team of skilled technicians in a setting that provides limitless challenges and creative opportunities to help improve the lives of others. Work within a highly collaborative multi-disciplinary care team and the ability to provide clinical instruction to medical residents, prosthetic and orthotic residents, and other medical professionals. There is no better place if you want to develop and grow, maximize and expand your career experience.
- Coordinate daily activities in the fabrication laboratory to ensure optimal fabrication workflow.
- Conduct daily huddles and other meetings to maintain a safe and productive environment.
- Provide support to technicians in order to achieve a high rate of success and help to overcome challenges that emerge.
- Work with O&P Director to resolve any conflicts and solve problems.
- Oversee QA process to ensure that all fabricated devices and meet quality standards
- Promote a culture of safety and high reliability.
- Identify and enact necessary process improvements.
- Maintain work schedules, review time off requests for accuracy and assure coverage.
- Communicate with clinicians and technicians on a regular basis regarding work flow, on-call & stat issues, turn-around-times and other issues as they arise.
- Interview and recommend the employment of staff as needed.
- Provide training for new technicians, residents, and volunteers.
- Serve as a mentor to all staff on new and existing fabrication techniques.
- Fabricate prostheses and orthoses, to help maintain workflow and stay current with methodologies.
- Must currently be certified by the American Board for Certification as an Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician (CTPO).
- Minimum of three years as an ABC Certified Orthotic and Prosthetic Technician, or equivalent experience
- Self-motivated and dependable with excellent communication, customer service, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a highly productive team environment. Must be able to manage multiple tasks in a dynamic setting.
- This position requires moderate standing, walking, pushing, pulling, bending, as well as lifting up to 50 lbs, and/or transferring of patients.
- Minimum of two years’ supervisory experience within an orthotics and prosthetics fabrication operation.
- Experience in classroom and hands-on training with proven record of educating and motivating staff.
- Familiar with LEAN principles.
- Experience with use of an electronic health record system, preferably EPIC or OPIE.
8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. (subject to change per needs)
The UM Orthotics and Prosthetics Center in Ann Abor, MI, will be your primary worksite.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.