How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should include salary requirements, address your specific interest in the position, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Note: This is a 5 year term limited position with the possibility of renewal depending on funding.
The Center for Academic Innovation (CAI) at the University of Michigan is seeking a qualified Marketing Specialist to launch and support online and hybrid programs through collaboration with our world-class faculty and schools of the University of Michigan. This position reports to the Associate Director of Marketing and Communications while working as a liaison with our Online and Hybrid Programs (OHP) team.
Who We Are
The Center for Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, tools for learning, and educational data and research, the center aims to shape the future of learning and redefine the role of the public research university by extending academic excellence, expanding public purpose, and ending educational privilege.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential learning grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
Strategic Consulting and Partner Relations
- Support marketing initiatives across schools, departments including consultations with University of Michigan stakeholders about online learning initiatives and digital marketing
- Provide consultative support to academic unit and program management teams in establishing marketing operations within the academic unit to generate financially sustainable methods for marketing degree programs
- Collaborate with the online learning teams and MarCom team in establishing a framework for distinguishing learning experiences within a portfolio
Digital Marketing and Analysis
- Collaborate with academic unit team, program manager, and platform partner to establish digital marketing plans for degree and hybrid programs
- Work with marketing research to understand how the degree portfolio is situated in the broader market and make recommendations regarding framing to distinguish learning experiences within the market
- Produce impact analysis and data-related stories that drives decision making for marketing activities
Promotion and Content Creation
- Coordinate marketing materials including paid marketing campaign copy, emails, e-newsletters, and other digital marketing content to support our online and hybrid partners
- Develop strategic messaging to increase enrollments in the online learning experience (OLX) portfolio funnel to drive enrollment in online degrees through stackable learning experiences
- Partner with with the CAI MarCom team to amplify and share academic marketing messaging and plans across various channels
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum of five years of previous marketing and communications experience in higher education or equivalent experience
- Minimum of three years of marketing data analytics and knowledge of relevant reporting tools such as Google Analytics, Google Data Studio, and Tableau
- Experience consulting and guiding marketing decisions with multiple stakeholders
- Demonstrated initiative, independent judgment, diplomacy, and service-oriented approach
- Strong commitment to teamwork and problem solving, as well as the ability to act independently
- Demonstrated organizational, interpersonal, oral and written communication skills and ability to manage projects and processes effectively.
- Ability to work well in a multicultural and highly collaborative environment
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing priorities and shifting timelines
- An advanced degree in marketing, communications, business, or a related field
- Familiarity with Massive Open Online Courses (MOOC)
- Experience working directly with higher educational faculty
- Experience developing paid advertising strategies for online courses and degree programs
- Experience with MailChimp and email marketing
- Knowledge of industry best practices for marketing data collection and analysis
This is not a remote position, however, due to COVID-19, the responsibilities of this role will be performed remotely until notified.
The statements included in this description are intended to reflect the general nature and level of work assigned to this classification and should not be interpreted as all-inclusive.
The salary for this position will be based upon the selected candidate’s education and experience.
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see benefits.umich.edu/
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Learning and working in environments designed for equity and inclusivity are necessary for the U-M community to make progress on solving the problems that matter most to society. In addition to collaborating with faculty and staff on projects that explicitly focus on DEI, the Center for Academic Innovation uses inclusive design processes in all of our work. All interested applicants, including those from groups historically underrepresented in higher education, are encouraged to apply.
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.