The Brighton Center for Specialty Care is the newest University of Michigan Ambulatory Care facility dedicated to providing high quality health care services for adults and children. The brand new 2-story facility is located at 7500 Challis in Brighton, MI. We are actively seeking compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-focused individuals who will share in the goal of crafting the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Why work for Michigan Medicine?
You will play an integral role within our institution, and are important to delivering the highest quality service to patients and their loved ones. We are eager to assist you in becoming a well-rounded employee and individual, and to help you advance in your career. Don’t hesitate – join our team today, and help us provide remarkable assistance our patients in the Brighton area.
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage
- Growth opportunities to higher seniority positions
- Management that provides quality training and direction
- Direct communication and partnership with Nurse Practitioners and Physicians
- Potential exposure to many Specialty Care Departments
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Please note that this position will act as a Medical Assistant, including Medical Scribe responsibilities, for the Dermatology providers and providers in other specialties in the Adult Specialty suite as assigned.
The Dermatology Department offers a variety of services to our patients, and we are excited for you to join our team. Our physicians are experts in advanced treatment of rare skin conditions, immunological skin disorders, genetic skin disorders, aging skin mycology (fungi), and phototherapy and atopic dermatitis. When acting as a Medical Assistant with Medical Scribe responsibilities, you will be responsible for the following:
- Assuring efficient clinic flow.
- Preparing exam rooms; clean/wrap surgical instruments for sterilization.
- Assisting with maintaining supply inventory/stocking. Maintain equipment.
- Reporting incidents/problems in a timely manner to leadership.
- Leading emergency procedures if a medical emergency arises.
- Developing/recommending changes to improve quality of patient care. Participate in QI initiatives.
- Providing safety of self and others by adherence to safety guidelines, polices, and practices.
- Protecting and respecting patient privacy in accordance with HIPAA.
- Reviewing current medical assistant, medical scribe, and other professional literature. Attend appropriate continuing education/staff development.
- Maintaining Mandatories.
- Collaborating with faculty, advanced practice professionals, and medical assistant/nursing staff to ensure optimal patient care.
- Assisting with complex procedures. Collecting and labeling specimens.
- Providing routine, but complex instructions for patient procedures and treatments, as delegated by providers and nurses.
- Performing patient intake; reviewing and updating MiChart as directed.
- Maintaining outside labs and biopsies. Problem solving issues related to the retrieval of medical information.
- Providing patients their normal and low complexity test results as directed by provider.
- Assisting providers with management of point-of-care alerts for services due.
- Transcribing patient visits and procedures into MiChart.
- Under provider instruction, calling in prescriptions.
- Assisting with accurate charge entry and billing.
- Retrieving existing information within a patient's chart at provider request. Problem solving issues related to the retrieval of medical information.
- Ensuring outside records/consents/prior authorizations/etc. are imaged and added to the patient's record.
- When instructed, utilizing Epic applications (e.g., Haiku/Canto) to capture clinical images.
- Using smart tools in MiChart to improve efficiency/accuracy of documentation.
- Assisting with training of new Medical Scribes.
** Additional duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Graduation from a Medical Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and 0-1 years of experience.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as, lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work well within a team setting.
- Communicates effectively.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
At the MA Associate level:
- 1 - 3 years of experience
- Certification as a Medical Assistant.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Familiarity with UMHS electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures.
The facility is open 7:00 AM – 7:00 PM Monday through Friday, and 8:00 AM – 4:00 PM on Saturday. We are flexible in scheduling, and request that you are also flexible in working various shifts.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
As part of the orientation training process, your training may be held at multiple locations during your first few months of the employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.