How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your CV. The cover letter should include salary requirements, address your specific interest in the position, and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Note: This is a 5 year term limited position with the possibility of renewal depending on funding.
The University of Michigan Center for Academic Innovation seeks a Research Scientist to help conduct research projects across the Center’s portfolio. This position will be responsible for identifying gaps in the literature that need to be answered, develop thoughtful research questions, design experiments, determine data collection methodologies, complete analyses, and produce presentations and papers to share findings. The Research Scientist will be a key liaison between teams across our Center, including Research and Development, Behavioral Science, Learning Experience Design, Software Development, and Design Management. This position will report to the Associate Director for Research and Development.
Who We Are
The Center for Academic Innovation is a strategic priority for the University of Michigan. Through curricular innovation, tools for learning, and educational data and research, the center aims to shape the future of learning and redefine the role of the public research university by extending academic excellence, expanding public purpose, and ending educational privilege.
Our preferred future includes:
- An open model for pre-college learning and preparation that broadens access and enhances participation
- A personalized, rigorous, and inclusive model for residential learning grounded in learning analytics and experimentation
- A flexible and networked model for global and lifelong learning that embraces the evolution of a more permeable university
- A participatory and inclusive model for public engagement that accelerates bilateral knowledge construction and sharing
As we reimagine the global public research university and create a culture of innovation in learning, we value:
- boldness and humility
- creativity and process
- risk taking and tradition
- personalization and scale
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Learning and working in environments designed for equity and inclusivity are necessary for the U-M community to make progress on solving the problems that matter most to society. In addition to collaborating with faculty and staff on projects that explicitly focus on DEI, the Center for Academic Innovation uses inclusive design processes in all of our work. All interested applicants, including those from groups historically underrepresented in higher education, are encouraged to apply.
For more information, please visit our website: Academic Innovation.
- Designs, performs, and oversees experiments and data collection to ensure data integrity, quality control, and protocol compliance
- Conducts collaborative research by working with students, staff, faculty, and other partners
- Maintains currency of knowledge with respect to relevant educational research and analytical practices both within and external to the University
- Performs routine research tasks requiring the application of standard techniques, procedures, and criteria
- Ensures proper care in the collection, sharing, and use of student learning data; promotes continuous improvement of ethical approaches to learning analytics research
- Conducts research effectively by maintaining accurate records of experiments and analyses performed, conducting relevant literature searches, and maintaining an up-to-date Knowledge of current methods of experimentation
- Contributes to the dissemination of knowledge gained through research by preparing and publishing findings and presenting findings in meetings with partners and at conferences
- A Master’s degree in education, information science, psychology, or a related appropriate discipline
- 3-4 years of experience designing, conducting, and documenting research studies
- Current knowledge of educational research and analytical practices
- Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize requests from multiple parties across multiple projects
- Proficiency with statistical software (e.g., python, R, STATA, SPSS, etc)
- Experience completing robust literature reviews
- Experience presenting research findings
- Excellent communication skills
- A Ph.D. in education, information science, psychology, or a related, appropriate discipline
- 2+ years of working in an educational research environment
- Experience with academic research around educational innovation including journal publications and conference presentations
- Proficiency with survey design and analysis
- Proficiency with conducting interviews
- Proficiency with qualitative coding
This is not a remote position and any adjustments to a standard in-person schedule will be discussed during the hiring process.
The salary for this position will be based upon the selected candidate’s education and experience.
Excellent benefits are available, for details, see benefits.umich.edu/
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
Decision Making Process
Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.