Clicking "Apply Now" opens the link in a new window.
How to Apply
To be considered for this position, candidates must include a cover letter specifying their interest in and qualifications for this position. The cover letter should be the first page of your resume and uploaded as one document.
The Center for Socially Engaged Design (C-SED) Administrative Assistant provides comprehensive professional and administrative support to the C-SED community. You will report to the Strategic Director but will work with C-SED staff, students, faculty, College of Engineering departments and vendors to provide an exceptional experience for those who engage with C-SED. As C-SED grows its team and programs, you will play a critical role in supporting the efforts that expand C-SED's impact.
- Initiate and schedule complex meetings
- Support event planning and manage event logistics
- Design and maintain processes to organize C-SED information, such as managing mail lists
- Manage supply inventory and orders office supplies. Maintain office/computer equipment (printers, copiers, etc.).
- Prepare Google Slide shows and other meeting materials
- Assist in the preparation of annual, periodic and ad hoc reports
- Support processes related to hiring and applying to C-SED programs: applicant management, interviews, and working with College of Engineering's Human Resources
- Coordinate onboarding activities of new team members which includes welcoming, human resource coordination, and training on organizational processes
- Prepare, review, and reconcile travel and expense reports.
- Coordinate with college-level staff to ensure payment to students and manage financial transactions
- Support Strategic Director in monitoring monthly expenditure and budget allocation
- Review financial documents provided by the College of Engineering
- Welcome guests to C-SED and provide reception support
- Oversee the maintenance and physical appearance of the office and prototyping lab to ensure a welcoming and professional environment
- Manage requests for space usage
- Prepare and 'take-down' C-SED spaces for events and class work
- 2+ years of experience performing administrative assistant functions
- Experience coordinating event logistics with the foresight to anticipate problems and take the appropriate initiative
- Ability to work collaboratively in a diverse community.
- Demonstrated commitment to customer service and creating a great student experience
- Ability to work in a changing environment. Understand the Administrative Assistant role in an organization that is undergoing structural change and evolve the role as the organization shifts
- Desire to understand C-SED's mission, vision, programs and key stakeholders to better support C-SED's activities.
40 hours per week Monday-Friday with occasional evening or weekend hours.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
C-SED offers its team members yearly professional development funds to ensure learning and growth for each employee.
We live in a complex world. Complex communities. Complex individuals. Complex technologies and systems attempting to address complex challenges. At the Center for Socially Engaged Design, we believe complexity can only be approached with multiple, diverse perspectives. How? By asking intentional questions. By engaging with others. By considering the broader context of design. By applying rigorous, collaborative design processes. By co-creating solutions with the people and communities who will use them. The result? Solutions that are more contextually relevant. More sustainable. And more complete.
What is Socially Engaged Design:
Socially Engaged Design involves designers reflecting on themselves and communities of people at every stage of the design process. It is dynamic and iterative. Socially Engaged Design is people centered and incorporates knowledge about the broader social, cultural, economic, environmental contexts in which a design solution exists and pushes designers to analyze how power, privilege, and designers’ own identities shape their approach and impact.
We invite you to learn more about our organization at https://csed.engin.umich.edu/
About the College of Engineering:
The College of Engineering seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan, fulfill the College’s Guiding Principles, and sustain the excellence of the College of Engineering.
To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion visit: https://www.engin.umich.edu/about/diversity/
To learn more about the College of Engineering strategic vision visit: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu.
C-SED strives to live our values in our work.
We begin reviewing applications once the posting end date has passed. If selected, our application process involves several stages: brief phone interview, in-person interview, skills-based activity and reference checks. We expect to contact applicants regarding an invitation for a phone screening by September 7, 2021.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.