Market Title: Patient Services Associate/Assistant
Department Name: Briarwood Medical Group
Hours: Full time
The Briarwood Medical Group Ambulatory Care Unit (ACU) is a Patient Centered Medical Home in the Division of General Medicine, which provides team-based primary care to adult patients. The primary mission of the ACU is to provide timely, high-quality, evidence-based, empathetic care to a population of diverse patients while also upholding the academic mission of Michigan Medicine through the education of medical students and residents. We are seeking a compassionate and enthusiastic Patient Services Assistant to join our Business Office Team. This individual will share our priorities which include: high quality medical care, excellent customer service, commitment to innovation, safety of staff and patients, efficiency, employee satisfaction, stewardship of resources and the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Screen patients at front door or check in for COVID-19 related symptoms
- Check in and check out patients from in-person visits
- Check out patients from virtual visits using Real Time Virtual Rooming (RTVR)
- Schedule patients for needed appointments, tests, and procedures
- Ensure all pertinent information is available for patient visits
- Prepare, maintain, and update patient forms/records
- Provide general information to staff and patients
- Maintain and manage administrative Inbasket, including patient portal messages
- Verify and update patient information, demographics, and primary and secondary insurance payors
- Process all reschedules due to provider schedule changes
- Work and manage fax server and all incoming documents via fax or mail
- Process patient charges, collect payments and reconcile cash collections
- Work with nursing team, providers, medical assistants, administrative team, and other business office team members to improve patient care and improve processes to enhance patient experience
- High School diploma or GED.
- Demonstrated record of excellent attendance.
- Demonstrated active listening, written, verbal and information technology skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and ability to work within a team setting.
- General office practices, ability to understand medical documentation, coding, and diagnosis.
- Strong organization and prioritization skills are required along with excellent customer service skills.
- Exhibits professional and positive image when interacting with patients, faculty, and staff.
- Able to handle multiple responsibilities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrates strong problem-solving skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
Associate Level: 2-3 years of experience
Assistant Level: 0-2 years of experience
- Solid understanding of computers, e-mail and Microsoft Office applications.
- Prior Cadence, MiChart and Aspect phone systems experience.
- Previous experience in an ambulatory care clinical setting.
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
- Call Center or clerical experience with general office practices preferred.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
- Clerical experience in medical hospital/office setting.
- Knowledge of medical terminology.
- Previous experience with automated scheduling system.
- Experience working within a large, complex health care setting.
- Familiarity with Michigan Medicine electronic medical records systems.
- Knowledge of insurance carrier requirements.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.