Serving the U-M community, Custodial & Grounds Services are the stewards of the buildings and grounds that make the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan unique. Our employees are dedicated to the preservation of the academic and hospital campuses and pride themselves in giving exceptional customer service while conserving, enhancing and maintaining more than 26 million square feet of property.
Custodial Services provides cleaning services to University of Michigan administrative and academic buildings on the Ann Arbor campus. We service over 13 million square feet of floor space in over 250 buildings. Custodial Services employs over 400 people consisting of custodial, pest management, support, administrative and managerial staff.
This temporary position is responsible for performing all custodial duties using the OS1 cleaning system, including the use of a backpack vacuum. Essential custodial duties include cleaning restrooms, picking up debris on floors, and cleaning hallways, offices, and/or other assigned areas.
Our mission is to maintain the facilities to provide a sanitary, safe, and pleasant environment for the University of Michigan’s students, faculty, staff, and guests.
Why Work at Michigan?
Being part of something greater, of serving a larger mission of discovery and care — that's the heart of what drives people to work at Michigan. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. It's adding a purpose to your profession. Work at Michigan and become a victor for the greater good.
Responsibilities and assigned job duties may include the following:
- Vacuum floors.
- Dust mop floors.
- Wet mop floors.
- Empty and sanitize receptacles following all safety guidelines for handling of waste.
- Clean chalkboards and erasers.
- Hand dust furnishings and assorted surfaces.
- Clean mirrors, interior glass, and entrance way glass.
- Clean and restock restrooms.
- Scrub shower room walls and floors.
- Spot wash walls.
- Sweep and wet mop stairs and clean stair risers.
- Dust stairway hand rails.
- Clean cigarette urns.
- Wash toilet partitions.
- Clean window wells.
- Dust venetian blinds.
- Move and arrange furnishings within rooms for cleaning purposes.
- Fill soap dispensers.
- Move cleaning equipment and supplies between floors.
- Collect lost and found items and report them to supervision.
- Spot clean carpet stains.
- Unplug commodes, urinals, and drains without dismantling fixture.
- Report items in need of repair.
- Clean and polish stainless steel and brass.
- Clean elevators and tracks.
- Remove graffiti and flyers from walls.
- High dust vertical and horizontal surfaces.
- Clean telephones.
- Disinfect exam tables.
- Police grounds building entrance ways by performing such duties as picking up paper and trash, and sweeping as necessary.
- Open and lock building/rooms according to schedule.
- Transport waste material to central locations.
- Turn on and off lights and equipment in rooms, as needed.
- Maintain an inventory of supplies according to instructions.
- Remove snow from entrances and spread ice melt as needed.
- Perform all duties in a safe and conscientious manner.
- Report all work related accidents or illnesses immediately.
- Report unauthorized people in the buildings and any other security problems to the Division of Public Safety and Security.
- Additional duties as assigned by Supervisor.
- GED or High School diploma.
- Ability to effectively communicate with and follow instructions from co-workers, supervisors, customers, and facility managers.
- Ability to wear a backpack vacuum for up to 8 hours a day.
- Ability to effectively clean/maintain areas that are located in various positions, including several feet off the floor, close to the floor, and under/around obstacles.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Must be able to perform all duties in the job classification with or without a reasonable accomodation.
Available shifts include: Days, Afternoons, and Midnights
*Multiple positions available*
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.