How to Apply
A cover letter is NOT required for consideration.
Dietetic Technician position, within the department of Patient Food and Nutrition Services, that is dedicated to supporting patients, departmental staff members and allied health professionals. This position is responsible for reinforcing a positive image of the Health System to all customers. They use information systems and customer service skills to facilitate customer interactions such that the customer experiences the Health System as an accessible, coordinated and seamless entity.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings.
- Responds to a high volume of room service patient telephone requests; enters selections into CBORD software program
- Communicates with nursing, dietitians, and food service staff in regards to the patient's room service experience
- Utilize CBORD and MiChart computer systems to verify diet order and allergy information
- Answers telephone inquiries from food service workers regarding patient diet and allergy information/requests
- Receives complex questions and problems from peers and troubleshoot issues as they arise
- Process and order all meal orders for patient in outpatient areas
- Educates patients on a predetermined list of food/drug interactions at bedside, documents result of educational session in MiChart.
- Generates report for patients on long acting insulin to ensure a meal is ordered for adequate glucose management
- Processes all outpatient meal orders received via email
- Takes inventory of all tube feeding and oral supplement products, and places orders in CBORD Unit Orders.
- Prints oral supplement and tube feeding labels from MiChart, which include specific patient information, and product name and volume. Pulls products and assembles on cart based on delivery location. Delivers formula and oral supplements to patient rooms.
- Communicates with patients (or their caregivers) regarding their enteral product intake and tolerance; communicates recommendations for change if applicable to the Registered Dietitian Nutritionist.
- Maintains inventory of formula and oral supplements on patient units based upon individualized par levels specific to the patient population.
- Performs the billing process for the tube feeding and oral supplements orders each day utilizing MiChart. Adjusts billing for product changes throughout the day.
- Associate degree, or equivalent combination of education and experience in the healthcare industry, dietetics or management. Equivalent education and experience may include one (1) year of employment as call center level P3 and successful completion of an established nutrition education program within the department.
- Must possess basic computer skills and the ability to learn new computer applications. Proficient in utilization of email systems.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills. Able to exhibit a professional and positive image when interacting with patients, departmental staff members and allied health professionals. Able to function as a team member with flexibility in a changing and challenging work environment. Able to work in a self-directed manner.
- Able to lift 15 pounds and walk a considerable distance.
- Bachelor Degree in Dietetics or related field.
- Work or volunteer experience related to healthcare and/or dietetics.
- Demonstrated ability of strong problem-solving skills.
- Experience working with MiChart and CBORD software.
Time: 11:00AM-7:30PM 2 days/week, 1:00PM-9:30PM 2 days/ week
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.