How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Are you wicked smart? Does tracking down hard to find data make you giddy like when you were a kid at the toy store? Do we ever have a position for you! We are in search of a Data Scientist/Data Engineer who can wrangle complicated data and prepare data to be used by our Data Scientists to create predictive analytics.
This position offers a unique opportunity in the areas of data science and analytics at the Michigan Center for Integrative Research in Critical Care (MCIRCC), Department of Emergency Medicine, University of Michigan (UM). Research in our center focuses on developing clinical decision support systems and real-time analytics for developing and translating advanced data science into critical care. Applicants will be responsible for accessing, gathering, processing, and staging data from multiple locations and multiple customers. Along with these tasks, the applicant will be at the forefront of scaling and productionizing our finely tuned models so they may be used by the professionals they were built for.
We are looking for an ambitious, talented, and self-motivated individual with an interest in solving problems and learning new skills. The person filling this role will have the opportunity to get involved in a multitude of various clinical applications that utilize various types of data such as structured medical data, unstructured clinical notes, medical images and time series data as well as data obtained by new medical devices and wearables.
This role requires active collaboration with our Data Science team as well as with other clinical collaborators within Michigan Medicine and in other institutes, depending on project needs. This collaboration will include requirements gathering to ensure we fully understand exactly what data we are looking for and the formats that are required.
In addition to being our go-to data wrangler, this role will have the opportunity to work with our Machine Learning specialists to develop predictive models that support the mission of MCIRCC and our members.
Who We Are
The U-M Center for Integrative Research in Critical Care (MCIRCC) is one of the world’s first comprehensive research enterprises devoted to transforming critical care medicine by accelerating science and moving it from bench to bedside. To do this, MCIRCC brings together integrative teams comprised of world-class U-M scientists, clinicians, and engineers with industry partners and funding sources to develop and deploy cutting-edge solutions that elevate the care, outcomes, and quality of life of critically ill and injured patients and their families.
The Department of Emergency Medicine at Michigan Medicine is committed to creating an environment that is welcoming to all. We strive to value the unique contributions of individuals, and support a culture of inclusivity among our employees, learners and larger community. This includes supporting the development of a diverse workforce across identities such as the race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, citizenship, marital status, religion, language, disability, and Veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and an affirmative action employer.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Senior Level)
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (Intermediate Level)
- B.S. Degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science, Biomedical Informatics, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or similar fields
- 3+ years minimum demonstrated technical knowledge of commonly used data science packages including numpy, pandas, scikit-learn, Tensorflow, and Keras.
- Proficiency using relevant tools (Python, R, MATLAB, Jupyter Notebooks, SQL Server, MySQL, AWS)
- Familiarity with ML concepts (supervised and unsupervised learning, deep learning)
- Knowledge of commonly used computer science concepts such as unit testing, git, and multiprocessing/threading.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and assignments with a high level of autonomy and accountability for results
- Willingness to learn and quickly adjust to new tools and systems
- Capable of converting ambiguous problem statements into concrete project requirements
- Passion for data-driven results and customer initiatives
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively and professionally with colleagues and stakeholders. Ability to understand and explain technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Confident teaching and coaching abilities
- Clarity Proficiency/Certificate
- Familiarity with Electronic Health Records (EHR) data
Open to hiring remote candidates
We plan to fill this position at a Senior level. Applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered at an Intermediate level if the primary goal is not met.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.