A Research Laboratory Technician Senior position is available in the Department of Pharmacology. As the selected candidate, you will be expected to work under the guidance of the laboratory PI and laboratory manager and together with other lab personnel (graduate students/postdoctoral fellow). The primary responsibilities will be to prepare laboratory reagents and solutions, wash laboratory glassware, perform sterilizations, maintain laboratory supplies/stocks and conduct some ordering. The position will grow to include some supervised molecular biology, cell biology and biochemical work with DNA, proteins, and cultured cells.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
- B.A. or B.S. degree in an appropriate discipline such as a biological science or chemistry.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in a research lab.
- Molecular or biology experience.
- Willingness to work with laboratory animals (mice).
- Perform careful experiments; keep neat, complete, and up-to-date records; and carry out key routine tasks on time without reminders.
- Perform mathematical calculations, for example in making solutions and dilutions.
- Fluency in reading, writing, and speaking English, and follow oral and written instructions.
- Work safely, exchange information and interact with other laboratory personnel and departmental members.
- Prolonged periods of standing or sitting and some lifting.
- Daily interaction with PI, laboratory manager and laboratory members in directing experiments and occasional contact with administrative staff.
- Training and certification to work with animals and low levels of radioisotopes will be provided and required after the start of employment.
In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.