How to Apply
Candidates should submit the following as one document:
1. Cover Letter / Letter of interest
3. One page statement that discusses/shares a recent experience; what was learned from this experience, and what you did with what you learned.
In order for the Career Portal system to accept a cover letter and one page statement, please include these as a page of your resume document.
The University of Michigan, School of Social Work (SSW) is seeking a Budget Analyst Intermediate. In this role, the Budget Analyst Intermediate will be responsible for; 1.) Assisting with creation and management of SSW budget as well as unit administrative budgets in the School of Social Work, 2.) Reviewing and approving journal entry requests 3) Reviewing and approving reports in Concur, and guest/student reimbursements, and 3.) Reviewing and approving invoices, and other payment requests.
- Prepare for review the UM-SSW annual budget and the administrative operating budgets including monthly reports.
- Review and approve reports in Concur; follow-up on issues with purchasing card (PCard), invoice payments, travel and expense reimbursements and all other payment requests.
- Train new staff on Concur, expense reimbursements, hosting and purchasing per University and School of Social Work policy/guidelines.
- Prepare ad hoc accounting and financial reports as needed and perform budget analysis as required.
- Assist faculty and staff on financial requests as well as with questions regarding purchasing and hosting policy guidelines.
- Assist/process/approve journal entry requests for SSW divisions, faculty and staff as needed.
- Support and maintain SSW Information System financial tables
- Work with U-M Shared Services to provide required information.
- Assist with special projects as assigned by the Director of Administration, Finance and Operations
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work to be performed and are not an exhaustive list of all associated responsibilities.
Supervision is received from the Director of Administration, Finance and Operations.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, or related field, is required.
- Four (4) to five (5) years of work experience in managing complex budgets, procurement and travel related issues required; ten or more years of relevant financial work experience is preferred.
- Candidate must have excellent communication skills, with the ability to receive and convey information clearly and concisely for various mediums. You will be expected to have solid interpersonal and organizational skills, and the ability to work effectively with diverse groups.
- Excellent computer skills, including expert knowledge of database software (Filemaker Pro preferred), Microsoft Office products including Word, Outlook, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience with the UM Data Warehouse and Business Objects
- Demonstrated problem solving and critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Ability to demonstrate a high degree of confidentially and discretion.
- Exceptional attention to detail and timely follow-through on assignments.
- Demonstrated ability to work well under time constraints and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and work independently with minimal supervision and maximum collaboration in a team environment.
- Candidate must have a high degree of initiative and resourcefulness.
Application Deadline - In order to receive full consideration for your application, please submit your bid within the first seven calendar days of this posting. UM job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days and the SSW may start the review/selection process as early as the eighth day after posting. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.