We are a Michigan Medicine Ambulatory Care Specialty Clinic dedicated to providing the highest quality health care services to our patients. The primary mission of Domino’s Farms Allergy is to provide timely, high-quality, evidence-based, empathetic care to a population of diverse patients while also upholding the academic mission of Michigan Medicine through the education of medical students and residents. We are seeking a compassionate and enthusiastic Medical Assistant to join our team. This individual will share our priorities which include high quality medical care, excellent customer service, commitment to innovation, safety of staff and patients, efficiency, employee satisfaction, stewardship of resources and the ideal experience for our patients, families and employees.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
This position will have a variety of responsibilities including support of clinic flow, front desk and coordinator of a new program within the DF Allergy ACU. Primary duties will include direct patient care support & serve as a program coordinator for new program within Allergy
Direct Patient Care:
- Work directly with faculty and care team to deliver excellent and timely patient care
- Ensure efficient patient flow in a fast-paced Outpatient clinic setting
- Complete patient intake including taking vitals, obtain medical and surgical history and document chief complaint.
- Reconcile outside records and document clinical information in patient chart in electronic medical record
- Set up and assist in complex procedures in Allergy clinic
- Perform patient skin testing, medication challenge and procedures per written guidelines
- Provide accurate and efficient clinical support processes. Perform skin testing, medication challenge and procedures per written guidelines.
- Assist with obtaining medication prior authorizations
- Maintain stock levels in procedure rooms and exam rooms
- Prepare and prep patients for testing and procedures
- Responsible for coordination of Oral Immunotherapy program patients
- Partner with nurses to identify patients in program, maintain patient interest list and patient enrollment
- Point of contact for patients regarding the program
- Scheduling patient for progression of visits throughout the 6-month program
- Maintain visit paperwork, completion of prior authorization and coordination the delivery of order from specialty pharmacy and maintain sequence of program visits.
Check-in/Check-out and Offline duties:
- Serve as back up support for check in/check out responsibilities to cover time off
- Process all patient payments
- Maintain in-basket messages for both clinical and clerical support
- Verify and update patient information, obtain referrals and/or authorizations.
- Respond to inquiries concerning department programs, services and activities.
Provide general information to staff and patients.
Graduation from a Medical Assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
In addition, candidate must have experience providing/performing:
- Some experience as a Medical Assistant or working in an office setting
- Exceptional customer service
- General office/computer work
- Successful outcomes working in a high volume, fast-paced clinic setting both independently, and as part of a team
- Ability to accurately receive and relay information over the telephone and written documentation
- Excellent attendance record
- Demonstrates leadership ability in commitment and compliance to the UMHS policies and procedures.
- Strong accountability and follow through with clinic judgment.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word & Excel.
- Must be able to work occasional overtime, based on patient care needs
This is a full-time, 40 hours per week Monday – Friday
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.