Being part of something greater, of serving a larger mission of discovery and care — that's the heart of what drives people to work at Michigan. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this outstanding institution. It's adding a purpose to your profession. Work at Michigan and become a victor for the greater good.
The Stamps School of Art & Design is looking for an Admissions Counselor who will recruit undergraduate students and represent our School at recruitment events across the country. You will help connect the next generation of art and design creatives to the opportunities at Stamps. You will report to the Recruiting Coordinator.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Paid time off, including family care and vacation time
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
A cover letter and resume are important submissions for the hiring team to get a sense of your experience. In the cover letter, in two pages or less, please let us know how this role aligns with your career aspirations. Please submit both a cover letter and resume as one file (because of system limitations). You are strongly encouraged to submit a link to a portfolio of your own creative work, if available.
Note: This position is posted at the Intermediate level within the University of Michigan’s classification system.
- Be a primary contact for prospective students and their families.
- Counsel students, conduct portfolio reviews, and provide follow-up during all phases of the admissions cycle.
- Provide in-depth admissions information in a group setting through Information Sessions.
- Represent our School at local, regional, and national recruiting events, and visits to high schools and other outreach programs.
- Evaluate prospective student portfolios and provide students with constructive feedback.
- Review applications and provide recommendations to our admissions committee.
- Maintain prospective student records in our customer relationships management software, tracking outreach and following up with students through multiple modes of communication.
- Help coordinate the pre-college programs by leading events and programs.
- Provide activity reports, schedules, and expenditures to the team related to recruitment events.
- Transport 20-30 lbs. of promotional materials over short distances
- Bachelor's degree in art, design or related visual arts discipline
- 1+ years of experience related to college admissions or counseling or related area
- Experience evaluating and critiquing creative work
- Applied experience working with students and colleagues from diverse backgrounds
- Interest in travel and working evenings and weekends
- Familiarity with Macintosh software programs and Google productivity applications
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.