How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Who We Are
Vision: Michigan Engineering aspires to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good.
Mission Statement: Michigan Engineering provides scientific and technological leadership to the people of the world. We seek to improve the quality of life by developing intellectually curious and socially conscious minds, creating collaborative solutions to societal problems, and promoting an inclusive and innovative community of service for the common good.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
Values: Leadership and excellence; creativity, innovation and daring; diversity, equity and social impact; collegiality and collaboration; transparency and trustworthiness.
Under direction from the Executive Director for Student Affairs and the Diretor of Events, this incumbent will assist with the planning and execution of student related events while ensuring protocol is followed.
This is a fast-paced position. It requires planning and executing a high volume of events to the standards of excellence long held by Michigan Engineering. Characteristic duties and responsibilities may change over time to reflect the evolving needs and priorities of the College.
- Assist with planning events by carrying out logistics including performance arrangements and contracts, hotel accommodations, audio visual needs, room reservations, site designs, facility arrangements, catering, parking, transportation and other vendor services. Staff events, including overseeing site set up and vendor arrangements.
- Prepare relevant informational materials and invitation text. Assemble components for mailings related to events and meetings; coordinate the mailing or emailing of “save the date” cards, invitations, confirmations and meeting packets. Design and generate the online response site for selected events, including the text and relevant fields. Prepare schedules, agendas and informational material for events and distribute those to Student Affairs staff and service providers as necessary.
- Prepare University forms such as work orders, parking requests and transportation requisitions. Arrange for billing of event expenses in coordination with the Dean’s office, and College of Engineering staff. Track event budgets and expense summaries. Prepare post event evaluations, soliciting input and compiling feedback from all staff involved in the event.
- Maintain data in the event management databases, track individual participant records and their response status. Generate reports on a scheduled and as-needed basis. Oversee the printing of name tags, place cards, table tents and menu cards and their organization for use or distribution at the event. Monitor and manage use of office inventories (invitations and other paper stock, badge holders and gift items). Reorder as needed. Oversee the updating of response and event participation information.
- Prompt administrative staff to craft briefing information (including schedules and background information) on select University and non-University participants in College of Engineering and/or University of Michigan events for the Dean, faculty members or University executive officers as appropriate. Respond to telephone, e-mail, mail, fax or in-person inquiries about events, providing information and interpreting policies and procedures within a timely manner.
- Staff College events as needed.
- Prepare and submit P-card statements accurately and on time.
- In collaboration with the College of Engineering events team assist in planning and executing Spring Graduation. Duties will include, but are not limited to: communication with alumni, faculty, students and staff. Preparation of all diagrams and supporting documents such as overview schedule, programming, set-up and tear down.
- All other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- A bachelor’s degree or two + years demonstrated experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of customer service while juggling multiple priorities and programs
- Availability to staff events on weekends and before 8 a.m. and after 5 p.m. on weekdays
- Ability to pick-up and transport materials in preparation for events
- Extensive knowledge using G Suite and Microsoft Office
- Flexibility with changing circumstances and work schedule
- Strong critical thinking and crisis management skill
- Demonstrate a student-centric approach and the ability to work with a diverse population of key constituents
- Experience working in program planning and/or event management, preferably in higher education
- Knowledge of University organization policies and procedures
This is a full-time temporary position, one year term-limited, with the possibility of a 6-month extension. Working hours may need to be flexed, to include some nights and weekends.
Supervision received from the Office of Student Affairs
Functional supervision over catering staff and vendors servicing events
Periodic functional supervision over staff working at events and student staff supporting events
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.