How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Student Life Budget and Finance (SLBF) supports the Student Life departments of Housing, MDining, Unions, Conference and Events, University Health Service (UHS), Rec Sports and many departments, centers and programs within Student Life. SLBF prepares monthly, quarterly and annual financial reports, prepares annual budgets, data analysis, procurement and accounts receivable support across Student Life. SLBF also facilitates the annual Internal Controls gap analysis process, provides financial system and business process training as well as updates to U of M processes and policies within Student Life.
This position is responsible for the support of all Student Life Budget & Finance areas related to finance and compliance. This position reports to the Finance Lead of Student Life Budget and Finance supporting the Centers & Program’s team and provides the supervisor and Director of SLBF with comprehensive, timely and accurate financial and budget support as well as financial analysis of data. Helps determine and support process improvements and efficiencies across multiple business processes.
- Prepare journal entries using proper chart of account (chartfield) combination.
- Analyze financial and payroll activity and make journal corrections per university guidelines.
- Prepare and review monthly/quarterly/annual financial statements including variance analysis and narrative.
- Create data queries to support financial responsibilities.
- Assist the leadership of Central Student Government (CSG) by preparing 990-T fax forms, purchases, analysis and all other financial tasks.
- Exhibit a process improvement mindset in support of a continuous improvement culture.
30% Budget Support and Preparation:
- Assist in preparing annual budget files and supporting documentation.
- Attend budget meetings and prepare budget scenarios as needed.
- Maintain comprehensive budget history including rationale behind budget decisions.
- Work with leadership and staff to ensure funding agreements are properly recorded in the budget commitment system.
- Assist and review monthly/quarterly/annual budget projections including variance analysis and narrative.
- Meet with supervisor and unit leadership to provide updates regarding their budget variances.
- Work with leadership to identify strategies for keeping future expenditures in line with budget.
- Proficiency with Excel, database queries, and Google software.
- Experience with University of Michigan’s M-Pathways Financials Systems.
- Reasonable knowledge of University policies and procedures, including those regarding human resources, financial management, internal controls, procurement, and student services.
- Progressive knowledge of spreadsheets such as Excel and Google, including pivot tables. Knowledge of PowerPivot in Excel would be highly desirable.
Normal office working conditions. M-F 8 hrs. per day. A hybrid work environment could be possible. Travel around campus will be needed at times. Relocation expense reimbursement not applicable.
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and Clery.
Salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and education of the selected candidate.
Relocation will not be offered for this position.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.