How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Who We Are
The UM Ford Center for Autonomous Vehicles (FCAV) is working to accelerate autonomous vehicle research and explore the future of driving through safer and more capable vehicles. We are researching perception, control, and planning for level-4 self-driving cars.
We are seeking a Project Manager to work with our students and faculty on project scope, organization and timeline.
This is a term-limited position. While employed by the University, individuals on term appointments will be subject to the personnel policies that apply to their classification, including those for staff benefits, probationary period, performance evaluation, and opportunities for staff development. Time worked in a term appointment counts as any other time worked as a regular employee in determining date of hire and time in rank.
The University’s Reduction in Force policy also applies during a term appointment. Situations such as lack of funds, lack of work, or reorganization may require a reduction in the work force that may include staff members on term appointments. However, at the conclusion of a term-limited appointment, the individual will not be eligible for Reduction in Force (RIF) status.
This term appointment is expected to continue through December 31, 2022, assuming satisfactory conduct and performance is maintained, and funding continues as initially expected. Term appointments may be extended, or may be ended prior to the established end date. When extending appointments, the length of the extension will be clearly specified.
- Manage robotics and autonomous vehicle research conducted in FCAV and DROP labs
- Evaluate research based on the needs of the sponsor and the lab
- Regularly meet with PIs, research engineers and students to review and evaluate results
- Review and approve research expenditures, make budget recommendations to PIs as needed
- Prepare and submit progress reports
- Create job descriptions, interview and select candidate for job postings
- Set rate of pay and hours for FCAV & DROP lab staff, recommend promotions & adjustments as needed
- On-board and train new employees
- Bachelors degree in Business or equivelnt experience
- Minimum of 5-7 years of project management and/or research administration experience
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills including the ability to work cooperatively with faculty and staff
- Strong attention to detail and ability to think analytically
- Strong computer skills, ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- Must be knowledgeable of relevant University policies and procedures
- CRA preferred
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu.
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.