The Alumni Association of the University of Michigan (AAUM) is seeking a Product Manager to join the Marketing & Communications team that is an integral part of the AAUM’s strategic plan. The team is focused furthering the mission of the Alumni Association by providing engaging and relevant products for alumni to be successful for a lifetime and connect with each other and the University. In addition to the responsibilities and qualifications listed below and most importantly, candidates must share and hold to the highest regard, the same values that are uniquely inherent to AAUM:
Believe in our mission
Be trustworthy and loyal to AAUM and each other
Be passionate about what we’re doing and be proud to be a part of it
Be an employee who goes above and beyond the call of duty
Be open and willing to listen to others and help in whatever way possible
You’re dedicated to selflessly following the Platinum Rule: treat others the way they want to be treated
Be willing to put the needs of alumni and staff colleagues ahead of your own, if that is what is best for AAUM
You’re a creative problem solver
You’re never satisfied with the status quo
You find a way to say yes
You embrace new ideas and approaches from different perspectives
You’re collaborative, flexible and adaptive
Who We Are
We enrich the University of Michigan’s impact by serving as an independent gateway for alums of all identities, backgrounds, and experiences – across the globe and in our neighborhoods – in order to create and deepen belonging to the Michigan Family, the Leaders and Best.
AAUM values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the continual development of a diverse staff who thrive and contribute to a positive, equitable and inclusive environment.
Provide leadership in defining and delivering key digital products for the association. Collaborate with program managers, technology, and marketing teams to identify customer/ business needs and translate them into a product roadmap.
- Oversee product strategy for digital products and platforms for the association. This includes a variety of digital/ web products and platforms.
- Lead and manage multiple projects through the entire web product life cycle including planning, prioritization, and task delegation.
- Work with the team to set strategy, define the audience, product/service, and make appropriate trade-offs between features, cost and speed-to-launch.
- Set success metrics and KPIs for product engagement, and create customer-oriented strategies to meet those goals.
- Use case prioritization, feature definition, ownership of the product roadmap, and customer segmentation to enhance products/services.
- Understand the market and competition for the product set and develop product and competitive positioning.
- Work closely with stakeholders across multiple programs to understand organizational needs, business strategies, and market opportunities, and translate those into product and/or service features.
- Identify customer requirements by considering data, customer/stakeholder feedback, and user research. Translate ambiguous requirements into deliverable solutions .
- Anticipate bottlenecks, manage risk, and balance customer/ program needs versus technical feasibility.
- Work closely with the users and technical teams to ensure that the business requirements are clear and well defined and that new product features meet the business requirements.
- Effectively convey product workflow and user experiences to stakeholders.
- Engage with cross-functional teams, program owners, technology and marketing team members to identify future opportunities for cohesive customer experience and drive product initiatives.
- Provide direction and prioritization to front end web developer, user experience lead and technology partners to ensure consistency in the product development implementation
- Work with the team to oversee usability testing across all products.
- Effectively lead, manage and supervise the team communicating expectations, setting work schedules and priorities, providing opportunities for personal and professional growth through regular performance reviews, guidance, and encouraging training while presenting new techniques, and recruiting/hiring staff as needed.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide organizational leadership by demonstrating AAUM core values: All In, Serving Heart and Solution Seeker, and helping other staff members demonstrate those values.
- Value and embrace different identities and diversity of thought recognizing that everyone has unique and different experiences that contribute to the best solution seeking and success for AAUM.
- Work with AAUM staff members to gain a clear and consistent understanding of the details of the strategic plan and feel equal ownership of every piece of it, including pieces for which there is no direct responsibility.
- Be inclusive and collaborative with every other member of the staff and every other team. Operate as a critical contributing member of the staff to complete objectives in many different areas in order to move the whole organization toward strategic transformation.
- Support University Relations efforts by demonstrating AAUM value to campus units/partners (i.e., schools/colleges, campuses).
- Staff team and Alumni Association events.
- Provide staff support to the Alumni Association’s Board of Directors, its committees, and other volunteers.
- Coordinate special projects as assigned or required.
- Participate in Alumni Association and other University committees as required.
- Participate in team and staff meetings.
- Share knowledge through internal communication.
- Support the Alumni Association’s vision of becoming more relevant to all alumni.
- Remain current with respect to technology and the University’s educational resources.
Direct supervision is received from the Executive Director of Marketing & Communications.
Supervision exercised over the Web Developer and UX/UI Lead.
- 5+ years of experience in product management with proven ability to translate customer needs into new features and products.
- Experience launching consumer-facing products and services including products like online communities or other customer engagement platforms
- Strong experience managing stakeholders and partners to drive cross functional programs with a proven track record of setting success metrics and delivering results
- Strong quantitative and qualitative skills to leverage in development of product strategies
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Experience with user experience design, conducting user research, personas, journey maps, user testing, rapid prototyping, and usability and accessibility design
- Experience with user-centric digital product design and/or UI/UX design
- Experience leading usability testing efforts and translating findings into tangible product design outcomes
- A proven ability to generate creative, innovative solutions to issues with a can-?do attitude with a mindset to be results-driven.
- Ability to work effectively with leaders and colleagues in a multicultural and diverse environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and autonomously
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills; ability to use hard data and metrics to back up assumptions, recommendations, and drive actions.
- Ability to think strategically, including analyzing data, extracting trends and applying findings to improve products.
- Experience in the product development lifecycle process, having delivered products before, created requirements, made prioritization & judgment calls, and driven team coordination, collaboration, and accountability.
This position may require some evening and weekend work.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.