The Alumni Association of the University of Michigan (AAUM) is seeking a Travel Program Coordinator to join the Alumni Engagement team that is an integral part of the AAUM’s strategic plan. The team is focused on engaging alumni around their success for a lifetime and connecting them to each other and the University. In addition to the responsibilities and qualifications listed below and most importantly, candidates must share and hold to the highest regard, the same values that are uniquely inherent to AAUM:
Believe in our mission
Be trustworthy and loyal to AAUM and each other
Be passionate about what we’re doing and be proud to be a part of it
Be an employee who goes above and beyond the call of duty
Be open and willing to listen to others and help in whatever way possible
You’re dedicated to selflessly following the Platinum Rule: treat others the way they want to be treated
Be willing to put the needs of alumni and staff colleagues ahead of your own, if that is what is best for AAUM
You’re a creative problem solver
You’re never satisfied with the status quo
You find a way to say yes
You embrace new ideas and approaches from different perspectives
You’re collaborative, flexible and adaptive
Who We Are
We enrich the University of Michigan’s impact by serving as an independent gateway for alums of all identities, backgrounds, and experiences – across the globe and in our neighborhoods – in order to create and deepen belonging to the Michigan Family, the Leaders and Best.
AAUM values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the continual development of a diverse staff who thrive and contribute to a positive, equitable and inclusive environment.
Assist in providing leadership in the development of the travel program. Coordinate the implementation of the program in order to encourage engagement with alumni and membership in the Alumni Association.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in selecting new travel programs and operators -- specifically with DEI focus, geared towards a younger audience, or more affordable options.
- Assist with development of partnerships with travel vendors including contracts, trip selection, trip cancellations, and marketing decisions.
- Ensure smooth booking process and excellent customer service working with vendors and the travel team
- Manage phone, shared email, and reservations on days the travel program assistant is not in the travel office (2.5 days per week)
- Provide writing, proofreading and editing support of travel brochures, travel emails, and travel web and newsletter content
- Oversee web editing -- including putting all trips on the web, securing content from operators, editing trip changes, and making sure trip statuses are accurate.
- Collaborate with Alumni Association and University of Michigan staff to assist in identifying faculty, U-M representatives and international hosts/lecturers for trips.
- Coordinate travel promotional items inventory.
- Keep abreast of developing travel trends by participating in travel conferences and reading industry news.
- Travel to Domestic and International destinations as an AAUM representative as needed (usually 1-2x per calendar year).
- Create and manage travel volunteer opportunities in the volunteer portal.
- Work with the communities team to create content, engage community members, and respond to inquiries in the Travel Community.
- Coordinate all data requests from tour operators for brochure and catalog mailers.
- Make sure all email journeys and communications are accurate, up to date, and operating smoothly
- Work with program manager, assistant, and additional AAUM colleagues to coordinate and execute the DEI travel plan
- Work with international club colleagues to help identify trips where travelers can meet with local alumni and find international alumni to feature in newsletters and blogs.
General Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide organizational leadership by demonstrating AAUM core values: All In, Serving Heart and Solution Seeker, and helping other staff members demonstrate those values.
- Value and embrace different identities and diversity of thought recognizing that everyone has unique and different experiences that contribute to the best solution seeking and success for AAUM.
- Work with AAUM staff members to gain a clear and consistent understanding of the details of the strategic plan and feel equal ownership of every piece of it, including pieces for which there is no direct responsibility.
- Be inclusive and collaborative with every other member of the staff and every other team. Operate as a critical contributing member of the staff to complete objectives in many different areas in order to move the whole organization toward strategic transformation.
- Support University Relations efforts by demonstrating AAUM value to campus units/partners (i.e., schools/colleges, campuses).
- Staff team and Alumni Association events.
- Provide staff support to the Alumni Association’s Board of Directors, its committees, and other volunteers.
- Coordinate special projects as assigned or required.
- Participate in Alumni Association and other University committees as required.
- Participate in team and staff meetings.
- Share knowledge through internal communication.
- Support the Alumni Association’s vision of becoming more relevant to all alumni.
- Remain current with respect to technology and the University’s educational resources.
Direct supervision is received from the Travel Program Manager.
Provide direct supervision to the Travel Program Assistant.
- A Bachelor's degree and three years of program development related experience, preferably in the travel field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Customer service experience; Demonstrated commitment to high quality customer service and high levels of productivity.
- Experience building and managing business relationships.
- Relevant experience in assisting in planning, creating, marketing, and leading projects.
- Knowledge of world and US geography.
- Strong data management skills, including queries and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically.
- Experience and comfort with software programs including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Salesforce or other like customer relationship management software, and Google Suite including Docs, Sheets and Drive.
- Proven ability to manage several tasks concurrently while paying attention to detail, meeting deadlines while continually setting priorities on emerging requirements and changing timelines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues in a team environment.
This position will require travel and some evening and weekend work.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.