How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Please note: The minimum salary at the Research Laboratory Specialist Associate title is $48,000. The minimum salary at the Research Laboratory Specialist Intermediate title is $58,000.
The Life Sciences Institute (LSI) at the University of Michigan is looking for a Cryo-EM specialist to help with the daily management of a well-established, state-of-the-art Electron Microscopy Facility. This facility houses a Titan Krios G4i, Titan Krios, Glacios, and Talos Arctica, each equipped with either a K3 or K2 Gatan direct electron detector. It also includes an Aquilos, two Thermo Fisher vitrobots, a SPT Labtech Chameleon, a Technai T12, and Morgagni. The Cryo-EM specialist will work with the facility director to manage the operations of the facility under demanding deadlines and to ensure accurate logs of training, equipment/data assistance and user access to the instruments. You will report directly to the LSI Cryo-EM Faculty Director and will supervise technical staff who support the instruments and users of the facility.
Our mission at the Life Sciences Institute is to advance the understanding of the fundamental processes of life, and to pioneer new ideas to improve human health.
For more information on the Life Sciences Institute: https://www.lsi.umich.edu/
For more information on Cryo-EM: https://www.lsi.umich.edu/science/centers-technologies/cryo-electron-microscopy
- Monitor and assist maintaining electron microscopes and related peripheral equipment
- Coordinate and report equipment problems to the Cryo-EM Facility Resource Director and facility users
- Prepare sample grids for negative stain and Cryo-EM imaging
- Collect data on the electron microscopes using automated image acquisition software tools
- Participate in image analysis and data processing
- Train users in sample preparation and data collection
- Provide consultation for researchers to improved data acquisition or sample preparation
- Establish and improve equipment operation protocols
- Supervise additional technical staff supporting facility instruments and users
- Coordinate repairs with service engineers
- Bachelor's degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics or a related field
- Minimum 2 years of hands on experience in Cryo-EM
- Minimum 2 years of experience with single particle approach which includes vitrifying samples and data collection protocols.
- Minimum 2 years of experience with Linux operating systems
- Minimum 2 years of experience providing instruction/training to others for safe and efficient use of cryo-electron microscopes.
- Master's or Ph.D. in Biology, Biochemistry, Biophysics or a related field
- Minimum 3+ years of hands-on experience in Cryo-EM
- Minimum 2 years of experience in Cryo electron tomography
- Minimum 2 years of supervisory experience
- Minimum 2 years of experience working in an academic research setting
Benefits at the University of Michigan
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Dental, Vision and Legal Insurance
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.