How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration and must be attached as page one of your resume document. Your letter should address your specific interest in the position, outline skills and experience that relate to this position, and specify days and times available to work.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn Department of Language, Culture, and Communication, Literature, Philosophy, and the Arts, Honors Program and African, African American Studies has as an exciting part-time temporary opportunity available for a person with great initiative, flexibility and professionalism to work as an Office Assistant. This position will assist in a wide range of office duties providing an opportunity to learn new skills and improve existing skills. The Office Assistant will be responsible for supporting faculty, staff and students, including but not limited to:
- Welcome and provide direction to students, faculty, staff, and guests
- Answer, screen, and direct telephone calls from students, staff, faculty, and the public and responding to general inquiries
- Data entry using Microsoft Excel or Google Sheets
- Create flyers for announcements and events
- Prepare and distribute incoming and outgoing mail, maintain copy machines, files, and correspondence
- Assist with departmental special events, set up and clean up
- Maintaining/stocking kitchen supplies informing staff of order needs
- This position requires enthusiastic customer service skills, confidentiality, dependability, professional office etiquette and excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- The ability to set priorities, organize, strong attention to detail, and adapt to changing needs of faculty/staff.
- The ability to adapt, research and learn new skills as required for various tasks.
- Candidates must be available to work Monday-Friday 1:00-5:00 pm. Please include your availability on these days in your cover letter. Additional hours may become available. Some days may require office to stay open until 6:00 p.m.
- Previous office work and/or customer service experience
- Working knowledge of Micorsolft Word, Excel and Google Drive
- Strong technology skills
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.