How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position. In addition, please include a statement detailing your commitment to and demonstrated track record regarding diversity, equity and inclusion.
The Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) is a dual-school department in the College of Engineering and the Medical School. We are seeking an experienced administrative professional to provide direct high-level support to the department chair.
Candidates for this position must have the knowledge, skills, abilities and experience needed to provide highly responsible and effective administrative support in an academic leadership setting. Key skills include: accuracy and attention to detail, the ability to problem-solve, excellent planning skills, consistent and effective follow-through on all matters, high quality writing skills, excellent customer service and diplomacy and the ability to handle sensitive matters in a discreet manner. The successful candidate will be working in a fast-paced environment with ever-changing priorities and must be adaptable, able to work under pressure to meet deadlines, and able to develop relationships with faculty and staff from across the college as needed to support a collaborative environment.
- Draft, edit and format communications, documents and reports using Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Google Workspace tools. This will require understanding the department's strategic objectives and the underlying supporting data, as well as an ability to compose and edit work products with limited supervision and guidance.
- Responsible for complex calendar management for the chair.
- Staff department meetings including faculty, executive committee and other committees including creating meeting agendas, providing appropriate meeting preparation materials based on meeting objectives, preparing minutes as necessary and tracking follow-up activities.
- Coordinate domestic and international travel arrangements for the chair including air and car travel reservations, hotel accommodations, detailed travel itineraries and appropriate prep materials. Prepare and submit travel expense and hosting reports (which may include multiple currencies when part of international travel).
- Reconcile chair’s P-card and follow-up on any discrepancies.
- Manage on- and off-campus events to achieve stated objectives including management of event budgets, logistics (e.g. room scheduling, equipment, vendor relationships, catering, invitations, RSVP’s, other communications) and the documentation and tracking of follow-up activities as necessary.
- Primary person responsible for greeting and hosting incoming visitors to the Chair’s office and providing parking passes.
- Provide primary phone coverage for chair’s office and provide back-up phone coverage for other offices as needed.
- Miscellaneous office duties including management of office supplies, filing of both electronic and hard copy documents, creating and maintaining electronic and hard copy filing systems, including the updating of internal databases as necessary
- Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Secretarial/ administrative experience and demonstrated ability to work effectively with staff, faculty, students and external parties from diverse backgrounds. Ideally experience providing administrative support to an upper level manager/executive, preferably in an academic setting.
- Demonstrated skill with Microsoft Office and Google Workspace software.
- Must be able to take direction from several different people and have proven ability to prioritize tasks with conflicting deadlines, handle frequent interruptions and meet deadlines.
- Must have excellent organization skills, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Must have proven ability to work independently and effectively in teams. Flexibility, positive attitude and exceptional work ethic are essential.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and demonstrated editing, proofing and writing experience. Ability to write clear and concise correspondence; ability to interact effectively with various stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to interact with faculty and staff in a professional and confidential manner.
- Commitment to a diverse, equitable, inclusive, and safe working environment for all members of our community.
- High-level computer skills, including Excel, Concur, MS Word, PowerPoint, and Adobe Acrobat.
- Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.engin.umich.edu/ .
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.edu/college/about/diversity .
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.