Taubman Medical Specialties is seeking a full-time Medical Assistant Senior who will be responsible for the coordination of daily activities for Medical Assistants and Medical Assistant Associates. This individual will provide interpretation and instruction for policies, procedures and practices. Provides in-service training, acts as a preceptor and coaches’ performance of Medical Assistants and Medical Assistant Associates. Participates with leadership team to ensure effective clinical operations. Promotes and facilitates positive communication with the entire health care team. Performs and assists with clinical procedures and duties.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Intake: Efficiently and effectively prepares and organizes clinic exam and procedure rooms with appropriate equipment and supplies. Obtains and records accurate/pertinent intake information that includes preparing medical information and reports for the appointment. Efficiently preparing the patient based either on complaint or predetermined protocol assisting the patient when appropriate.
- Direct Patient Care: Assists the provider during the patient visit that could include routine procedures, ear irrigations, foot exams, collection and /or process of specimens for either on-site testing or preparing for pick-up. Able to confidently share test preparation with the patient/family. To continuously track the clinic patient flow and identifying holdups and notifying patients if the schedule runs behind. Prepares and assures patients are given appropriate and prepared paperwork (encounter forms, test requisitions, school or work forms).
- Medication Administration: Prepares and administers all appropriate medications using the 5 rights and by written physician order. Two patient identifiers are verified before administration of any medication. All medications are documented correctly in Michart. Appropriate patient information sheets are provided to the patient/caregiver.
- Clinical Support Processes: Provides accurate and efficient clinical support processes that include prescription refills, test results reporting, pharmacy insurance authorization, and /or other request. May facilitate the appointment process with clerical staff (overbooks, or directly schedule). Also perform other assignments such as opening processes (quality care testing) supply inventory and patient calls. Able to collaborate with nursing and physician staff to ensure optimal patient care.
- Education and Training: Maintains current competencies and mandatory training. Attends mandatory clinic and hospital training programs. Actively participates in clinic and/or staff meetings.
- Preceptor: Acts as preceptor for orientation of new medical assistant staff and student externs. May also precept staff members requiring performance improvement. Assures training is up to date for all staff on equipment and procedures.
- Administration: Provides assigned administrative duties that may include weekly/monthly staff schedules, process improvements, change implementation, and evaluation preparation. Coaches and supports staff to promote improvement. Staffing plans are maintained to meet the needs of providers and patients. May be involved in the ordering process and strives to meet budgetary expectations. Actively participates in regulatory compliance activities.
- Facilitation: Ability to coordinate use of exam/procedure room space. Able to support multiple providers and/or specialties. Provides assistance with complex procedures and/or specimen collections. Takes initiative in identifying, acting, and following through on problems and tasks.
- Leadership: Serves as a positive role model and is an integral member of the clinical leadership team. Communication is effective and positive with the entire health care team. Demonstrates proactive problem solving skills and takes the initiative to identify, act and follow through on problems. Is able to consider the impacts of decisions / changes beyond the immediate work group. Acts as a key administrative resource in the manager’s absence.
- Relates work and job purpose to UMHHC mission and commitment to putting patients and families first.
- Interacts effectively and builds respectful relationships within and between units and among individuals.
- Communicates effectively in ways that enhance productivity and build respectful relationships.
- Demonstrates active listening, written, verbal, and information technology skills. Shares relevant information.
- Seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues.
- Adheres to high standards of personal and professional conduct.
- Responds positively to change, showing willingness to learn new ways to accomplish work.
- Fosters mutual respect and supports UMHS commitment to diversity.
- Promotes community building and diversity initiatives that help employees learn and respect each other’s differences.
- Contributes to a safe and secure environment for patients, visitors, faculty, and staff by following established procedures and protocols as appropriate by job function.
- Adopts practices to improve work processes, enhance customer satisfaction and ensure excellence in daily work.
- Accomplishes work in ways that maximize productivity and available resources while minimizing waste.
- Good attendance.
- Graduation from a medical assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and 5+ years of experience.
- Must have specialty care experience.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Experience working as a team lead.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Moderate standing/walking, as well as, lifting, positioning, pushing and/or transferring patients.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to work well within a team setting.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Formal education in a health care field.
- Certification as a medical assistant.
- Experience working within a large, complex healthcare setting.
- Familiarity with Michigan Medicine's electronic medical record systems.
- Knowledge of university policies & procedures.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.