How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
A cover letter and resume are required for consideration for this position; include the cover letter as the first page of your resume. It should specifically address this position and outline particular skills and experience directly related with this position.
A highly motivated research laboratory technician is sought for a position in a translational laboratory focused on circulating tumor cell biology at the University of Michigan Rogel Cancer Center. The successful applicant will be responsible for providing a wide variety of technical lab support, individually and with other research personnel.
The primary role of this position will be to assist with technical and administrative aspects of all studies, including processing and analyzing patient samples for research trials using the CellSearch and Cepheid systems. The applicant may also independently perform cell culture, in vitro studies of cultured cancer cell lines, animal (mouse) experiments, DEPArray sample processing, and DNA amplification. The person should maintain detailed records of all experiments and data.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
• Process research samples using CellSearch, Cepheid, DEPArray systems.
• Data collection, analysis, management, and interpretation; maintenance of experimental protocols.
• Maintain detailed laboratory, study, and experimental records.
• Independently perform or assist with experiments including human samples, cell culture, phenotyping and genotyping of cultured human cell lines and patient xenografts, animal (mouse) samples, DNA amplification, and present results at lab meetings.
• Assist in the procurement, storage, and documentation of human blood and tissue.
• Help in ordering and maintaining laboratory equipment, supplies.
Required Qualifications for Research Lab Tech Intermediate:
• Bachelor’s degree
• 1-3 years of laboratory research experience. Translational research and research at the bench highly preferred.
• Applicant must be hard working, efficient, highly motivated, well organized, and able to work with minimal supervision in small group setting.
• Willingness and ability to acquire new skills.
• Strong organizational and communication skills; excellent attention to detail.
Required Qualifications for Research Lab Tech Associate:
HS Diploma or Assoc Degree and 0-1 year experience required.
Desired Qualifications for Research Lab Tech Intermediate:
- Master’s Degree in a recognized field of science directly related to the position.
- 3-5 years of related laboratory experience.
- Good team skills and be able to efficiently multi-task.
- An interest in learning new techniques.
- Familiarity with University research administration policies and procedures.
- Experience with mouse models of cancer.
- Familiarity with molecular biology techniques.
- Familiarity with breast cancer field.
- A working knowledge of computer software and general lab equipment.
Desired Qualifications for Research Lab Tech Associate:
- Bachelor's degree
Days/Shifts/Hours: Mon - Fri/Days/8:00am - 5:00pm, but may include some evening hours (would not exceed 40 hours per week). Hours negotiable.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.