The Women’s Birth Center at Michigan Medicine is seeking a Temporary Inpatient Unit Clerk to provide excellent customer service to our patients and clerical support to our nurses and doctors. This is a communication-heavy position requiring good interpersonal, written and verbal skills and the ability to work as a team.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Utilize extensive on-the-job training to complete tasks.
- Admit, transfer and discharge patients in the Women's Birth Center.
- Receive and assist patients and visitors, providing excellent customer service.
- Answer patient calls in a professional and timely manner.
- Respond to emergent situations in a calm and professional manner utilizing predefined processes.
- Procure supplies, equipment and services for patients.
- Maintain census information.
- Monitor infant security system.
- Communicate effectively and timely with staff.
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent
- Basic computer skills
- Effective communication & interpersonal skills
- Ability to problem solve
- Ability to multitask and prioritize tasks based on level of importance
- Knowledge of medical terminology preferred
- Excellent organizational, follow-through and time management skills
- Prior healthcare experience
- Ability to work weekends and holidays
- Ability to work a rotating schedule
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.