How to Apply
Email a cover letter, resume, and link to a portfolio. Selected applicants will be contacted to submit samples of social media collateral and strategy
The University of Michigan is committed to perpetual excellence in research, education, and public impact. The U-M Office of Social Media and Public Engagement and Director of Executive Communications and Strategic Initiatives are seeking an experienced communications specialist to manage the coordination and collaboration of integrated campaigns, content creation, and presidential initiatives strategy.
The ideal individual will be skilled in developing high quality, consistently branded content that encourages sharing, engagement, and promotion of highly valuable programs and initiatives. This specialist should be interested in not just producing dynamic content but also assessing its value and return on investment, while working with diverse stakeholders to achieve the goals of presidential initiatives. The ideal candidate will be an effective project manager, a big-picture thinker, and an excellent communicator (written, verbal, visual, digital).
This is an opportunity to work with a global brand that serves a standard of best practice for communications implementation across higher education. To succeed in this role, you must be enthusiastic and uncompromising about ensuring the University of Michigan is always seen as a primary influencer in social communications both among our peers and in the world -- and passionate about the success of initiative teams.
This position has a dual reporting structure to the Director of Social Media and Public Engagement and the Director of Executive Communications and Strategic Initiatives. It is located within the Office of the Vice President for Communications.
Note: This is a two-year appointment with benefits. There is a possibility of extending the appointment after the initial two-year term.
- Design, curate, and manage the creation of compelling strategic social media, visual, web and written content for several U-M priority initiatives
- Work collaboratively with staff and leadership responsible for communications strategy across the institution and initiative areas
- Capture and edit photographs, video, and audio interviews
- Develop and implement communications plans that advance goals of the Office of the President, the Office of the Vice President for Communications, and university priorities
- Create and maintain editorial calendars that elevate key messages aligned with the U-M brand
- Track, measure and communicate results by overseeing deliverables
- Research and make recommendations on best practices for priority initiatives to reach target audiences on a variety of platforms
- Monitor and report on trends and technologies and apply knowledge to develop new strategies and tactics
- Research, source, build, manage, and nurture online relationships/groups/communities
- Maximize exposure of content through collaboration with the U-M social media team and campus communicators
- Prioritize projects and develop roadmaps for execution of content strategy recommendations
- Coordinate, monitor, and contribute to the strategic alignment of the Presidential initiative’s communications
- Assist in staffing and planning events and communications opportunities involving the President.
- Draft remarks and scripts for key leaders, including the university president, as assigned by the Director of Executive Communications and Strategic Initiatives.
- Undergraduate degree in journalism, communications, marketing, political science, or related field
- Two to three years of combined social media, content creation, digital strategy, and writing experience
- Experience working collaboratively to set goals, implement projects, and assess success
- Demonstrated success in communicating and creating in the social space
- Accustomed to the strategic use of social platforms for brand awareness, reputation management, and customer service
- Knowledgeable about and able to report on trends and best practices in social media, digital content, and emerging technologies
- Ability to determine and execute social strategy, working closely with cross-functional team members to meet business objectives
- Available outside normal business hours
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills: proficiency in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and style necessary
- Ability to produce high-quality work on deadline and handle several projects at once
- Ability to take both direction and initiative
- Skilled multi-tasker, excellent listener, and extremely organized
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
Ann Arbor campus with opportunities for hybrid work.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY AND INCLUSION
The Office of the Vice President for Communications seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.