How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Health Information Technology & Services (HITS) is seeking a candidate to join the Academic IT organization as a member of the DevOps team, dedicated to ensuring software developers across Michigan Medicine have access to the tools and infrastructure needed to deliver secure and reliable software. As a DevOps Engineer, you will help drive excellence by providing the foundation required for innovative and mission critical software solutions across the institution. The mission of our organization is to enhance the education of future doctors, assist researchers in collaborating on the future of medicine, and improve patient care.
The DevOps team is comprised of engineers responsible for the tools supporting the build and deployment of software within Michigan Medicine. Our team culture empowers you to take ownership of your work and its outcome. This is a unique opportunity for self-motivated individuals to work with a highly innovative team. We are looking for candidates who are able to work collaboratively to resolve problems and have a high tolerance for complexity and ambiguity. You must have a very deep understanding of various development tools and technologies. While this is a hands-on technical role, you will be expected to take charge of problems, and take the initiative to design and deliver solutions. We expect the team to have a strong desire to learn, researching and applying new technologies and methods as needed. We are looking for candidates who enjoy mentoring teammates and developing those around them.
- Work closely with Software Development teams, Information Security and Operations teams (DevSecOps) to provide a fully automated CI/CD Container Pipeline that deploys to Kubernetes Development, Staging, and Production Clusters in the Cloud.
- Define and architect Enterprise use of software such as Jenkins, Nexus, GitLab and SonarQube
- Define and architect Enterprise Cloud Application services
- Define and improve the build & release practice by working with development teams and educating others
- Identify, plan, and implement automation and environment management activities
- Enable groups outside your own team to securely and easily perform day to day tasks
- Build relationships with Development and Operations teams and drive enhancements to the end-to-end release process
- Review entire environment infrastructure and execute initiatives to reduce failures and improve overall performance
- Troubleshooting production availability issues in a complex environment
- Manage and prioritize competing tasks from various stakeholders
Required Qualifications for Senior Position
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- 5 years combined experience in site reliability, DevOps, software development or technical delivery, or database administration
- Solid understanding of build, automation, and configuration tools such as Jenkins, Terraform, Rundeck/Ansible Tower, Ansible/Puppet/Chef, Git/GitLab
- Knowledge of CI/CD pipeline design/architecture enhancements
- Experience with communicating and building good testing practices
- Experience with Web server configuration, monitoring, and network design
- Experience with log management and log aggregation tools such as Splunk, DataDog
- Strong information security focus
- Hands on experience with Web services and API related transformations
- Demonstrated success with high availability, failover, and clustered environment setups
- Experience in project management, negotiation, and conflict resolution
- Demonstrated success with analyzing and designing solutions to complex or ambiguous problems
- Familiarity with agile development methodologies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
Required Qualifications for Intermediate Position
- Same as Senior with 2- 4 years of experience
- Direct experience with container runtimes and tools like Docker, CRI-O, podman
- Experience with Kubernetes, Google Kubernetes Engine, OpenShift, Terraform
- Experience with lifecycle of Kubernetes clusters
- Knowledge of infrastructure-as-code using Git
- Release process automation using GitOps
- Experience configuring and managing load balancers for serving applications (such as Citrix ADC/Netscaler or Google Cloud Load Balancer)
- Monitoring applications such as Prometheus
- Kubernetes Custom Resource Definition (CRD) and Operator design and development
- Cloud experience with IAM access and roles, Cloud SQL, Cloud routing, Cloud firewall
- Database administration experience, ETL, Cloud database administration
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.