How to Apply
To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume in one document. In your cover letter, please tell us why you're interested and how your skills match this position.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) at the University of Michigan has an exciting opportunity for an experienced and motivated application developer to be part of its Student Administration Team.
As a member of the ITS team, you will work in a collaborative environment on a variety of projects using the PeopleSoft suite of technologies including PeopleTools Application Designer, BI Publisher, Integration Broker, SQR, COBOL and more. You will also work with business system analysts and technical infrastructure teams to create new software solutions, integrate applications using APIs and other technologies, address application issues, and perform application maintenance. You will report to the Application Development Manager.
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
Who We Are
ITS supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and enabling university wide innovations by:
In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
ITS’s mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: https://its.umich.edu.
Why Work at Michigan?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans, prescription drug coverage, dental plans, vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, life insurance, legal services, early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs by visiting https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness.
- Work collaboratively and independently on complex application development tasks
- Develop, implement and maintain web and batch applications, reports, queries and application integrations
- Lead projects, forecast required time and resources, provide status updates, prioritize completion of tasks, and follow established standards and methodology
- Collaborate with customers and business systems analysts to design solutions that meet the needs of the customer and the organization
- Coordinate and apply vendor provided software patches and maintenance
- Provide production problem analysis and resolution, job scheduling, monitoring, tuning, and end-user support
- Demonstrate in-depth knowledge of the business and administrative processes
- Provide training, guidance, and assistance to staff to accomplish goals
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 5+ years of experience in a related role involving systems analysis, design, development, support, maintenance, customer service, and troubleshooting
- Experience working with relational database technology to support web applications
- Experience developing web applications using structured techniques
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle and process improvement methodologies
- Proficiency with one or more procedural or object-oriented programming languages
- Proficiency with reporting tools, query writing and SQL
- Experience customizing and supporting applications using Oracle/PeopleSoft application development tools, including PeopleTools, PeopleCode, SQR, COBOL, Application Engine, Integration Broker, and BI Publisher
- Experience supporting system-to-system integrations using APIs, web services and other integration techniques
This position will be filled at the Senior level salary range of $71,000 - $95,000 as the primary goal. The requirements listed reflect the Senior level expectation. Applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at an Intermediate salary range of $59,500 - $79,000.
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.