How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Medical Assistant Associate/Intermediate to assist in the delivery of direct patient care in a busy outpatient specialty clinic setting at Briarwood Health Associates. BHA supports Rheumatology, Gastroenterology, and Cardiology. Chosen candidate will occasionally provide coverage in our nurse assist area along with our front desk.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Assist with prescription refills.
- Assist with various procedures (arthrocentesis, wound care, etc.).
- Assisting patients with mobility restrictions, e.g. getting out of wheelchair on to exam table.
- Basic clerical tasks that require proper telephone technique, basic typing, computer and data entry skills.
- Basic medical assistant competencies (EKG, medical history, vital signs etc.).
- Clean and stock exam rooms.
- Injections and specimen collection and processing.
- Maintain supplies.
- Patient intake (e.g. documenting chief complaint, vital signs, height, weight).
- Provide patient with appropriate educational/preparation information for procedures.
- Print laboratory reports for daily patient visits.
- Work directly with physicians and nurses regarding patient concerns/issues/questions.
- Work in electronic medical record system (MiChart) updating notes and patient medication lists.
- Assists with telephone triage.
- Obtain insurance authorizations
- Obtain prior authorizations for medications
- Chronic pain management tasks per protocol (e.g. MAPS report, generating drug screening lab requisition).
- Occasionally provide coverage in our nurse assist area along with our PSA’s at the front desk. Training will be provided for both of these areas of responsibilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) credential
- Graduation from a medical assistant program or a combination or equivalent combination of education and 1-3 years of experience
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
- Previous experience with MiChart
- Ability to spell correctly and use proper grammar
- Demonstrated prior excellence in attendance and punctuality
- Demonstrated effective time management skills and the ability to use available time effectively
- Demonstrated excellence in customer service skills
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal and communication skills (e.g. ability to provide and receive constructive feedback, seeks constructive approaches to resolving workplace issues, ect.)
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail
- Able to fork in a fast-paced, customer-friendly environment
- Previous experience in Ambulatory Care clinical setting.
- Credentialed Super User
- Clinical data entry experience.
- Knowledge of University and Department policies and procedures.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology
- Able to work in a fast paced customer friendly environment.
- Adheres to high standards of teamwork by demonstrating adaptability, flexibility and consistently shares information and resources with others.
- Works well with minimal supervision
40 hours/week. Full-time. Days, Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 6:00 pm, hours may vary. Briarwood Health Associates Building #5. Overtime is a requirement in this position.
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.