How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Coordinate and manage an usher corps of 400+ volunteers and paid usher supervisors for over 70 events per season while acting as a key UMS representative at these events, which occur in various venues around Ann Arbor and Southeast Michigan. Be an active participant in daily ticket office operations as well as production coordination and special event management. Requires significant evening and weekend work, which will vary and could be up to 50% of weekly hours during the academic year depending on performance schedule.
(50%) Performance/Production Operations
- Oversee the representation of UMS at all UMS presentations, setting a high standard for providing excellence in customer service, problem-solving for ticketing issues, crowd management, adherence to ADA regulations, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion standards, and professionalism for volunteer ushers, usher supervisors, and the Front-of-House Assistant
- Coordinate Front-of-House logistics for performances and special events which include (but are not limited to):
- Scheduling and managing volunteer ushers and paid head ushers in advance and on-site
- Staffing student interns
- Coordinating program book delivery and distribution
- Overseeing patron access to venues and seating
- Coordinating and executing merchandise sales and settlement with artist management and outside vendors
- Coordinate collection and distribution of night-of-show promotional materials, signage, and program inserts
- Act as point person for UMS Staff for associated in-venue events (such as receptions, lectures, and artist Q&As). Receive and schedule in-venue events, advise staff members on best practices, and ensure compliance with venue policies in execution
- Actively contribute to production reports as well as weekly inter-departmental production meetings, representing the patron experience
- Devise and implement methods to train both new and returning volunteer ushers in areas including best customer service practices, the online scheduling program, and N-Scan access control and patron tracking system
- Train and supervise part-time student staff in merchandise sales and event setup/take-down. Manage part-time assistants when performing Front of House duties. Ensure that front-of-house performance operation is consistent by developing communication methods and by holding weekly meetings and ongoing training
- Attend and participate in the Washtenaw Association of Volunteer Coordinators monthly meetings and yearly conference.
- Act as the UMS ADA coordinator and advocate for ADA compliance for UMS public events.
(20%) Customer Service
- Contribute to the successful operation and staffing of the ticket office by providing excellent customer service - includes processing phone and mail orders, helping to train student staff, and processing subscriptions during regular ticket office hours.
- With the Ticket Office team, enforce relevant Front-of-House policies as determined by UMS and venue management.
- Professional experience working in the performing arts
- Experience with Tessitura software
- Knowledge of and interest in the performing arts
- Experience with Ann Arbor and University of Michigan communities
- Knowledge of ADA standards and regulations
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Traveling to various locations on and off the U-M campus is required
- Require to routinely move equipment and boxes weighing up to 25 pounds for various events
- The employee is required to be accessible on a mobile cellular device
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.