This posting is for a temporary, Psychiatric Care Worker (PCW). PCWs, under the direction of the Medical Director and Clinical Nurses, provide staffing and clinical support to patients and staff in the Electroconvulsive Therapy Clinic (ECT). Job areas include Patient Waiting Room, Preop, Treatment Room and Recovery Areas (PACU). Job duties include the following…
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
- Ensure adequate number of disinfected and/or dressed stretchers and wheelchairs are available
- Prepare, place and remove IV bags, Take vital signs, Conduct Pregnancy Tests, Place and remove monitor leads, Tape rings and/or earrings, as applicable
- Transport patients to and from treatment areas or to an inpatient floor. Ambulate, move and lift patients
- File paperwork and EEG strips
- Restock refrigerator and snack bin with appropriate/available items
- Prepare and file ID bands, patient labels, consent forms, assessment paperwork and patient schedules
- Wipe down dresser drawers as needed; Discard used linens in assigned bins; Clean ECT cart(s) and restock as needed
- Check crash cart & document findings per JCAHO regulations
- Complete bite block requisitions and drop off for cleaning
- Perform other miscellaneous duties as assigned by clinical staff
- A minimum of two years of college
- Effective writing and verbal communication skills
- Evidence of a responsible work pattern including an outstanding attendance record
- Able to transport and move patients/patient stretchers/patient wheelchairs
- Recent experience on an Acute Adult Inpatient psychiatric unit
- Able to take and process direction from multiple people
- U of M Student
- Bachelor's Degree in Psychology or Neuroscience Preferred
The number of hours per week for this Monday – Friday Day position varies with no weekends.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Under Michigan law, a criminal history check including fingerprinting is required as a condition of transfer or employment for this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.