How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position. The cover letter should specifically address why you are interested in the position, describe specific skills and experiences in your history, and directly relate them to the responsibilities and qualifications for the position. In order for the Career Portal system to accept your cover letter, include it as the first page of your resume document.
The Eisenberg Family Depression Center’s mission is “to catalyze interdisciplinary, data-intensive collaborations that produce high-impact advances and rapidly translate advances to improve the mental health and quality of life for individuals suffering, their families and communities.” As EFDC seeks to expand its reach, it is seeking a Communications Manager.
We are looking for a Communications Manager to promote and communicate the efforts of EFDC and its affiliates to a broad public, key stakeholders, and allies. The Communications Manager will create and coordinate a strategy to increase EFDC’s visibility and engagement through both established and novel communication tools, including website and social media content, a variety of video formats, data visualization, print media, and more. We are looking for a person who is creative, energetic, and can connect with a diverse set of stakeholders. This person needs to be willing to try new things, can work independently and as part of a team, is highly dependable, and has a positive attitude.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, the University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and any eligible family members, and to plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous time off
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting upon meeting eligibility requirements
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Develop and manage a communication strategy, operating plan, and budget to support EFDC’s mission and vision through tailored communication and marketing activities, with focus on optimizing visibility of the center and operational efficiencies.
- Serve as liaison between the Center and communications experts across University of Michigan and Michigan Medicine to identify synergies and opportunities to leverage other resources in support of EFDC communications, and to share and learn best practices across a multitude of channels including web, print, social and external/mainstream media.
- Create a strong, positive brand for the Center and coordinate efforts to raise its visibility and reputation and ensure brand continuity and alignment with the University of Michigan and Michigan Medicine.
- Plan and direct the design, production, and quality of communications products and materials including: website, newsletters, print collateral, multi-media, video productions, and presentations.
- Plan, research, and write original content to promote center activities both internally and externally. Provide executive communications support for the managing director and the director.
- Oversee management of the web platform that hosts the Center’s website including overall look and feel to ensure continuity, consistency, and user-friendly interactions and navigation.
- Create new and leverage existing videos across platforms (e.g., YouTube, Website, Twitter) for use internally and externally.
- Manage relationships with vendors to support multiple marketing and communications projects and deliverables Manage all contracts to ensure adherence to U-M purchasing guidelines and policies.
- Assess, monitor, and develop longitudinal tracking of EFDC communication analytics, including: website traffic, newsletter traffic, social media interactions, external media hits, and ongoing colleague/peer analysis.
- Manage creation and inventory of all templates, logos, marketing collateral, promotional materials, etc.
- Curate library of digital images that can be used in Center’s promotional materials.
- Hire and manage a high-performing future team, potentially including but not limited to: Events and Member Engagement Specialist, Communications Specialist, etc. This includes providing leadership, mentoring and training, and cultivating a positive work environment.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or another relevant field
- 5 or more years of successful communications, journalism, or marketing experience
- Adept with current web content management systems (e.g., WordPress, Drupal, etc.) and various social media platforms (e.g., Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, etc.)
- Demonstrated superior written and verbal communications skills and ability to adapt writing and communication efforts for a wide variety of audiences; top-notch interpersonal communications and relationship-building skills, team spirit, and drive
- Ability to work as part of a team that values brainstorming and collaboration, as well as capacity to work independently and take initiative
- Strong organizational skills, and ability to effectively manage numerous projects, simultaneously and in various stages of development
- Must be productive and flexible under pressure and able to meet deadlines
- Experience working with an email marketing platform and knowledge of industry trends for effective use of social media
- Evidence of creative spark and initiative, accountability, discipline, and integrity
- Multimedia design experience or affinity
- Expertise in managing the web presence of an organization
- Experience in or communicating with print media
- Experience working within complex healthcare or academic settings
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.