How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
University Health Service (UHS) promotes and protects the health and well-being of students and the broader campus community in order to enable individuals to better achieve their educational and personal goals.
The University of Michigan serves the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace, by:
- Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
- Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Provide high-level administrative support to Wolverine Wellness Director and other professional staff within the unit. This role supports the infrastructure of our workflows and processes. Assist with a wide scope of duties that promote maximum functionality for our director and other institution-wide initiatives. These include aspects such as supply purchasing, calendaring, hosting, taking and posting minutes, assisting in hiring and onboarding support as well as general organizing. Provide excellent customer service to all internal and external clients. This position will also be central to the coordination of the Health and Well-being Collective Impact backbone infrastructure.
Administrative Direct Support: 60%
- Maintain Wolverine Wellness Director (as well as Wolverine Wellness leadership team) calendars including setting priorities for the effective use of time; and provide support to professional Wolverine Wellness staff.
- Provide direct administrative support to the Director and Project Manager at Wolverine Wellness in support of the Health and Well-being Collective Impact backbone infrastructure:
- Provide administrative support for communications with a multitude of audiences, using the appropriate medium(s) of communication; support the creation of project presentations
- Support the development of regular reports on project progress
- Provide administrative support in collecting and organizing project data, utilizing data warehouses
- Schedule meetings and coordinate with multiple U-M Administrators (including senior-level administrators) within University Health Service (UHS), Student Life (SL), academic units, other University departments and community partners. This includes navigating both Outlook and Google calendaring systems.
- Initiate, compose, and edit correspondence/email to various U of M Administrators, community members and their support staff.
- Support Wolverine Wellness Director with documentation for multiple budgetary accounts including: assign account numbers to expenditures (often to multiple sub accounts), review Wolverine Wellness unit accounts, and seek adjustments to irregularities.
- Support Director in hiring of professional and student staff including all or a portion of the following: utilize MPathways (e-recruit) to retrieve applicants' resumes, schedule search committee meetings, distribute resumes, provide information to search committee members, coordinate recruitment strategies, interviews and travel arrangements, and mail final determination letters.
- Monitor/record and update voicemail options for UHS call prompter telephone system.
- Prepare meeting agendas, take minutes, follow-up on “action” items from various meeting with ensuring deadlines are met, and send follow up reminders as requested
- Serve on committees both internal and external to UHS (UHS Administrative Assistants Team, Student Life Administrative Assistants Team, AdForum).
- Review incoming mail and sort as to importance and priority.
- Coordinate the handling of routine personnel actions and other office functions with the UHS Administrative team.
- Assure compliance with affirmative action, safety programs, and regulatory agencies.
- Act as liaison to faculty, staff, students, patients, outside agencies and the public concerning inquiries or complaints requiring interpretation of policies and procedures.
Purchasing/Travel and Hosting 20%
- Coordinate travel, hotel accommodations, transfers to and from airport, meal reservations, meeting room space, and audiovisual equipment for various guests, speakers, consultants, and professional staff.
- Organize and plan logistics for events for all or a portion of the following: facility selection, menu planning, transportation arrangements, hotel accommodations and audio/visual equipment; process event and hosting forms for Wolverine Wellness and some UHS events; arrange fees.
- Coordinate and prepare and/or assemble necessary meeting materials.
- Assist with the development, production, and distribution of event materials including invitations and programs, as needed.
- Reconcile P-card statements, membership renewals, including ACHA and other travel and hosting expense reports for the Wolverine Wellness Director.
- Provide guidance to Wolverine Wellness staff related to payroll, Concur and Sessions.
- Assist with UHS wide communications including website content updates.
- Provide and track discount parking /QR tickets for visitors.
- Use guidelines provided by the UHS Financial Services office to complete paperwork and acquire appropriate signatures from administrators for various purchases, travel, hosting, and special events. Review and seek adjustments to irregularities, when needed.
- Assist Wolverine Wellness Staff with requisitions to purchase office supplies, print materials, incentives, and graphic products.
- Initiate purchase of items for events at retail locations in accordance with purchasing guidelines.
- Purchase educational posters, books, demonstration models and program incentives for Wolverine Wellness professional staff, Student Organizations and Coalitions using MPathways Financials and Physical Resources System.
- Maintain Concur User status including P-card reconciliation.
Departmental Operations: 20%
- Assist in responding to and handling routine patient/client concerns, and forwarding those that are of a highly sensitive or confidential nature to the correct administrator for follow-up.
- Coordinate all reminders for Wolverine Wellness monthly, bi-weekly, including work-study student’s payroll functions.
- Perform reception duties and supervise student staff who cover reception for all Wolverine Wellness programs and services.
- Maintain email groups with both internal and external members.
- Scheduling using electronic calendaring systems (Impact – for Wellness Coaching Google, Outlook, etc.).
- Order supplies and coordinate inventory control.
- Request equipment servicing as needed.
- Provide Wolverine Wellness orientation to new UHS staff upon request; specifically on time cards, vacation/timeaway documents, front desk reception coverage, wellness pets, program request process and procurement procedures.
- Revise and maintain Wolverine Wellness new employee orientation manual, the student employment manual, Wolverine Wellness group listservs,Wolverine Wellness internal staff listservs.
- Seek professional development through U-M Human Resources and Student Life conferences, workshops and training.
- Coordinate the documentation and scheduling for Wellness pets at UHS
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 4 years of administrative support experience in a healthcare/education or related field.
- Associate’s degree in a healthcare/education or business related field
- Experience supporting a leader
- Reasonable knowledge of public health
- Knowledge of university’s policies and regulations
- Bi-lingual or multi-lingual skills
- Proficiency in Outlook, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google software, Zoom, Salesforce, Sessions and Qualtrics
- Demonstrate emotional intelligence and skilled in creating an inclusive environment
- Competency in leadership, ability to work with various job families, including academic units and other senior leadership administrative support
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software including Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint
- Proficient utilizing Google platform (docs, spreadsheets, forms, calendars etc.)
- Experienced in minute taking
- Demonstrated interpersonal and customer service communication skills (students, families, and members of the university community
- Demonstrated ability to handle confidential and sensitive situations and communications.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as a member of an extended team
Work with Student Life Budget & Finance staff, related to monthly statement review of usual expenses.
This role involves consistent office/desk work. Some cross-campus travel required.
This is a full-time, 40 hours/week position, generally coinciding with the hours UHS/Wolverine Wellness is open. There may be potential to flex hours or do portions of work remotely. Generally Monday through Friday 8 am – 5 pm, Limited evening/weekend work may be required
University Health Service/Wolverine Wellness suite
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1050
02445 Suite in lower level
Staff members are expected to exercise judgement in setting priorities. You will be trained by experienced staff and seasoned leadership
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer, and may use a third party administrator. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Supervision is received from the UHS Wolverine Wellness Director
This role may have reporting obligations under Title IX and Clery.
$45,200 - $47,250 - Salary may vary depending on qualifications, experience, and education of selected candidate.
Relocation will not be offered for this position.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.