We are seeking an experienced Medical Assistant Intermediate to join our Domino’s Farms Pre-Operative Clinic team. The Pre-Operative Clinic is dedicated to providing high quality health care services for adults and children undergoing surgery at Michigan Medicine. We are seeking a compassionate, enthusiastic, and patient-oriented individual who will share the goal of creating the ideal experience for our patients, families, and employees.
- Work collaboratively with all team members and the Clinic leadership team to optimize patient care and clinic flow and support the Pre-Operative Clinic Providers in virtual care and in-person visits.
- Be able to efficiently navigate the electronic medical record system, MyChart, to obtain information as needed.
- Responsible for completing intake, taking vital signs, performing EKGs, maintaining examination rooms, giving injections, assist in managing the MiChart workqueue and referrals to Surgery PreOp and Anesthesia PreOp, and update patient information in MiChart.
- Assists Providers in obtaining outside facility medical records and in resolving gaps in care associated with the patient’s Pre-Operative History and Physical (e.g., tracking down missing tests, labs, immunizations, etc.) needed prior to surgery.
- Coordinate patient care with outside health agencies as instructed by staff.
- Assist in the completion of the patient visit by completing tasks such as, rooming the patient both in the clinic and virtually, reviewing/competing patient questionnaires with the patient, or other tasks as applicable.
- Identify “red call” and “yellow card” situations, have knowledge of safety and compliance measures as required by Joint Commission, and respond appropriately.
- Stock and clean examination rooms between patient use, remove any expired items, arrange for repair of clinic equipment.
- Check, calibrate, track and clean equipment.
- Manage vaccine inventory.
- Assist with patient and emergency personnel wayfinding. Transport / escort patients to and from entrances and nearby Michigan Medicine clinics as needed.
- Assist with ordering supplies, inventory management, unload boxes of supplies and place in storage as appropriate.
- Assist the Clerical Team by checking patients in / out of clinic, answer telephones and handle requests accordingly, schedule clinic appointments, providing clear instructions to patients regarding virtual visit expectations and processes, enter billing information, or cash collection.
- Maintain work queues, faxes and in-basket or email management. Provide routine office support including filing, copying, mailing, faxing and delivering documents.
- Assist with other projects as necessary.
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Graduation from a medical assistant program or an equivalent combination of education and experience (3 - 4 years) is necessary; additional formal education in a health care field is desired.
- Knowledge of basic medical terminology.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Effective time management skills and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Must have documented history of excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant is desirable.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively will be essential to working effectively in our team-oriented environment.
- Experience with MiChart (electronic medical records) and other office systems.
- Reasonable knowledge of Michigan Medicine policies and procedures.
This position has two rotating shifts: 6:30 am - 3:00 pm and 9:00 am - 5:30. The scheduled shift rotates on a weekly basis. The successful candidate will be required to rotate on all shifts and provide coverage, as necessary, for team members.
Domino’s Farms Pre-Operative Clinic
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.