How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Taubman Pulmonary Clinic is seeking a Respiratory Therapist Clinical Specialist to support the ideal patient care experience for the pulmonary patients, with the primary focus, but not limited to, the Adult Cystic Fibrosis Program.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
• Assess patients and recommends respiratory therapy treatment(s).
• Initiate appropriate respiratory therapy plans with guidance from providers.
• Coordinate therapy plans with multi-disciplinary care teams.
• Evaluate results of pulmonary function testing (PFT), both lab-generated PFTs and home spirometry.
• On-board home spirometry results into MiChart.
• Perform PFTs in the PFT lab with patients, as requested.
• Provide assistance and care to patients via virtual visits, when appropriate. The assistance includes, but is not limited to adherence to therapy plans, respiratory medication (e.g., inhalers), therapy, or diagnostic devices.
• Collaborate with Pulmonary Clinic administrative, clerical, and Call Center staff to manage Cadence patient schedule.
• Complete charting and billing in MiChart according to University of Michigan Health guidelines.
• Attend and participate in team meetings, case presentations, and article reviews.
• Assist Respiratory Therapist Clinical Specialist with care for patients, as needed, in the Assisted Ventilation Clinic.
• Staff PFT Lab and Pulmonary Rehabilitation unit as schedule permits.
• Graduation from an accredited Respiratory Therapy Program, with a minimum of Associate’s degree as a Registered Respiratory Therapist.
• A current license in respiratory therapy by the state of Michigan is necessary. This classification requires Primary Source Verification.
• Minimum of five years of Respiratory Therapy experience.
• National Board for Respiratory Care Credentials as Certified or Registered Pulmonary Function Technologist (CPFT or RPFT) are required within 12 months of hire.
• Prior experience with the Cystic Fibrosis population is preferred.
• Prior PFT Lab experience is preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in Respiratory Therapy.
Primarily Taubman Center - Pulmonary Clinic. PFT Lab(s) and Burlington Pulmonary Rehabilitation, as schedule allows.
This position may be underfilled at the level of Respiratory Therapist Senior, depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate. If underfilled at the Respiratory Therapist Senior level, the position may be considered for promotion to Respiratory Therapist Clinical Specialist after 12-24 months, contingent upon successful completion of Performance Evaluation(s).
This is a new incremental position seeking to meet the requirements of the CF Foundation.
Supervision is received from the Clinical Supervisor and the incumbent Respiratory Therapist Clinical Specialist. Guidance and supervision also received from the CF physicians.
This position requires moderate standing/walking, as well as lifting, positioning, pushing, and/or transferring of patients. Must be able to move extended distances while transporting 20lbs.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.