How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Who We Are
Since 1859, the University of Michigan Law School has offered its students one of the world's finest legal educations in a setting of stunning physical beauty. The Law School's faculty of more than 100 teachers is counted among the most prestigious in the U.S., and its strength is fortified by more than 100 business and professional staff. Michigan Law boasts approximately 1,000 students, and more than 23,000 alumni, who are leaders in law, business, and public service in countries across the globe. Michigan Law is widely regarded as one of the nation's top 10 law schools.
At Michigan Law, we view our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion as central to our mission as an educational institution and we seek to ensure that each member of our community has full opportunity to thrive in our environment. We believe that diversity is key to individual flourishing, educational excellence, and the advancement of knowledge and we maintain a deep commitment to fostering a diverse community in which all students, staff, and faculty learn and work in an atmosphere of inclusion and respect.
Michigan Law seeks an experienced, creative, persuasive, inventive, and detail oriented writer to join a fun yet professional marketing team to write marketing communications. Reporting to the Senior Content Strategist/Manager, the Writer will develop copy for a variety of communications, including brochures, direct mail, the website, newsletters, online media, and email marketing. The writer also will be heavily involved in editing and proofreading, and should be sensitive to language, able to synthesize complicated concepts, and comfortable working under deadlines. You must be able to work independently, gather relevant information, and present it in copy appropriate to the audience and vehicle. This is a great opportunity for a writer with several years of experience.
- Produce written copy in the form of brochures, direct mail, online content, newsletters, online media, email marketing, articles, and promotional marketing material.
- Provide written coverage of select Law School events.
- Work in partnership with various Law School departments to develop copy.
- Serves as a resource for department personnel in writing, adherence to the Law School’s editorial style guide, document design/layout and other communication matters.
- Serves as a resource for proofreading and editing a variety of marketing and communications materials.
- Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned or requested.
Ideal candidates will have the following characteristics:
- Ability to produce outstanding marketing copy that creatively sparkles and is rooted in strategy
- Outstanding communication skills; superb attention to detail, excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills;
- Confident, congenial interviewing style and subsequent ability to craft short, snappy, on-message profiles of students, faculty, and alumni;
- Ability to easily change writing styles to fit the audience and voice of the piece;
- Ability to work independently and to meet deadlines;
- Knowledge of AP and Chicago style, grammar, spelling, proofreading, and other writing conventions.
- A commitment to higher education and an ability to create content that engages current and prospective students, as well as other audiences and enhances their experience with Michigan Law;
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously, prioritize and plan work activities while meeting respective deadlines;
- Must possess a demonstrated attention to detail in order to achieve a high degree of accuracy;
- Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion;
- Strong organizational and time-management skills; and
- Ability to professionally yet personably engage with high-level administrators, the Law School’s donors, alumni, faculty, and students.
Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, communications, English, or related field, with a minimum of five years of experience writing for marketing, preferably in higher education; or the equivalent combination of experience, training, and education. Proficient with Microsoft Office suite, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.