Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- Retirement Savings Opportunities
A Medical Technologist responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Perform Histocompatibility testing such as DNA extraction, molecular HLA typing using SSO and next generation sequencing (NGS) techniques, antibody screening and identification, flow cytometry crossmatches, and virtual crossmatches.
- Participate in on-call for Deceased Donor Virtual Crossmatches
- Compliant with pre-PCR guidelines and PPE
- Work collaboratively with others to report results in a timely, efficient manner and to maintain a positive work environment. Recognize problems and follow up appropriately.
- Follow quality control and quality assurance procedures.
- Perform instrument maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Perform lab and hospital designated competency assessments.
- Adhere to established laboratory procedures and policies.
- Participate in the continuous improvement process and continuing education for lab personnel.
In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Laboratory Science or biological science is required as well as certification as a Medical Laboratory Scientist or Medical Technologist or eligible to be certified by BOC. Specialized laboratories may accept a Bachelor’s degree in a biological science with certification eligibility in that laboratory.
Have a minimum of 1 year of post-training experience in a relevant clinical laboratory for the duties described
Must have demonstrated ability to perform the duties of an MT at a high level of expertise, and the ability to perform the assigned work without sacrificing on patient care
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Works with infectious disease and/or hazardous materials.
May have exposure to noise from laboratory equipment and pneumatic tube system.
Participate in a rotating weekend, holiday and on call work schedule.
Requires frequent (standing/walking/sitting/hand pipetting) for long periods of time and the ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- MLS or specialty certification is highly desired, and may be a consideration in highly specialized laboratories
- Time management skills and the ability to accomplish extra duties while completing patient work.
- Experience in a diagnostic Histocompatibility laboratory
- Experience with HistoTrac, Fusion, NGS softwares.
- Experience with next generation sequencing, real-time (qPCR), and flow cytometry.
- Evidence of excellent communication, process improvement, change management, and team building skills.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office programs such as Excel, Word, PowerPoint etc.
This full time, 40 hour position is on the day shift and will require rotating with other staff for weekend and holiday on-call coverage.
This position is located in Pathology at NCRC, 2800 Plymouth Rd, Ann Arbor.
$3000 signing bonus available.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine, by the start of the fall term on August 30, 2021. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.