The University of Michigan-Dearborn (UM-Dearborn) invites applications for the position of Sports Information Director. The position will be responsible for the maintenance and updating of team information and statistics for the University of Michigan-Dearborn’s intercollegiate athletic programs, while also overseeing and improving the day to day operations of the campus’s sole recreation center. These responsibilities are to be performed in an ethical manner consistent with the University’s and Department’s mission, vision, and cultural values. UM-Dearborn is among the top-tier comprehensive public universities in the Midwest with approximately 9,200 students, outstanding faculty and staff as well as beautiful facilities and grounds.
Why Work at Michigan?
We are proud of our 50+ year history: UM-Dearborn was first created as the Dearborn Center of the University of Michigan in 1959. Ford Motor Company gave the University of Michigan approximately 200 acres, including beautiful grounds along the Rouge River in Dearborn, as well as $6 million to build the campus' first four buildings. The campus was initially established with an emphasis on cooperative education. In 1971, it became a four-year undergraduate school; with some master's-level graduate programs. Since then, the campus has experienced steady growth in both enrollment and in range of programming to include undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral-level programs.
- Act as the chief spokesperson for the Athletics & Recreation Department and communicate effectively with internal and external constituents and serve as the point person for all media outlets and relations.
- Serve as the Wellness Center contact person and provide program oversight.
- Compile, disseminate, and maintain sports statistics, records, rules and regulations for all intercollegiate and club programs in compliance with their respective governing associations and conferences.
- Responsible for all written and electronic communications related to the athletics department.
- Maintain, update, and keep current the athletics department website including coach and student-athlete biographies and headshots, as well as update and maintain all Athletic Department social media accounts.
- Ensure gameday operations run efficiently and professionally including providing programs and other marketing publications including schedule cards and posters, ensuring that home contests are being live streamed, take photos during home contests, and provide social media updates throughout the game and providing a full game recap on the website.
- Ensure that all facility and team apparel have proper UM-Dearborn logos and branding and work with External Relations to ensure all branding requirements are met.
- Provide and administer information to the campus, media, and the public on the department and its athletics program, MHealthy, and other recreation programming.
- Develop and implement a plan to grow fitness classes and use of the Wellness Center on campus. Work closely with MHealthy and Healthy Dearborn to promote health and wellness programs and activities across campus.
- Serve as the liaison with contracted apparel company to ensure all sport programs equipment and apparel meet branding requirements.
- Facilitate special events and resources including All-Sports Banquet, Hall of Fame Ceremony and Golf Outing, All Coaches Workshop, Promotional Calendar, Annual Report, Senior Day/Night Presentations, and Student-Athlete Orientation.
- Manage the Wellness Center and Sports Information budgets; authorize fitness equipment purchases and repairs and ensure all equipment is properly serviced and maintained.
- Serve on executive leadership team which guides the department’s strategic assessment, planning and vision.
- Participate in departmental meetings, trainings, and campus-wide events.
- Distribute information on contest results and statistics in a timely manner to all conference and national affiliations associated with the University of Michigan-Dearborn.
- Assist the athletics department in drafting conference, regional, and national award applications.
- Responsible for the promotion and marketing of the department, teams, and programs including camps, fundraising efforts, and fitness classes.
- Hire, train, supervise, develop, and evaluate the performance of student workers, employees, and fitness class instructors.
- Perform an annual review of all fitness classes and modify as necessary.
- Develop and maintain website for online record keeping specific to PAR Q and other liability release forms.
- Build and maintain relationships with media outlets and constituents covering UM-Dearborn Athletics.
- Coordinate the covering of media coverage and accommodates interview requests for the athletics department.
- Provide excellent customer service, anticipating and exceeding the needs of our customers.
- Game administration duties for home events as needed or as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills You Have
- Demonstrate effective public speaking skills.
- The ability to interact professionally and effectively with students, athletics teams, staff, faculty, parents, and the general public and community.
- Ability to set priorities, handle multiple assignments and deadlines, and to display excellent judgment while working in a flexible and professional manner.
- Demonstrate excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure and handle multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Demonstrate ability to effectively plan, meet deadlines, and accomplish goals.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational, prioritization, and attention to detail skills.
- Demonstrate effective interpersonal skills and enthusiasm as well as respect for individuals.
- Demonstrate experience working in a collaborative, team-oriented, office environment.
- Demonstrate a thorough knowledge of and compliance with applicable national affiliations, conference, University, and departmental rules and regulations within the athletics program.
- Must be able to work an irregular schedule, including evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Demonstrate motivational and problem-solving capabilities with a high degree of integrity, ethics, and dedication to the mission of the University.
- A bachelor’s degree or a combination of acceptable education and experience, which has provided the requisite knowledge and skills to fulfill the requirements of this position.
- Must have strong organizational skills, with the capacity to establish priorities, manage multiple demands and projects and meet deadlines.
- A strong customer service orientation and attention to detail, along with excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communications, and presentation skills.
- The successful applicant must be a self-starter, with the ability to take initiative and use sound judgment in making decisions and resolving problems. Must work effectively, independently and cooperatively with students, staff, faculty, and other internal and external constituents.
- Flexibility to work nights, weekends, and some holidays as applicable.
- 3 to 5 years of sports information or related experience.
- Thorough knowledge of NAIA rules and regulations, intercollegiate athletics, and higher education.
- Experience in working in a fitness center or gym.
- Knowledge of Risk Management policies and procedures.
- Fiscal management experience.
- Supervisory experience.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.