How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) is looking for a PC Maintenance Tech Intermediate to join the Tech Repair within ITS.
This position reports to the Tech Repair Supervisor. ITS Tech Repair provides support and service for the computers, printers and related electronic equipment for the University of Michigan and privately-owned equipment of student, faculty and staff.
This role requires someone with who can work with minimal supervision, provide excellent customer service, proactively anticipate and resolve problems, is able to follow procedures and standards in a consistent manner and has a strong teamwork ethic.
Who We Are
ITS supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and enabling university wide innovations by:
- Elevating the customer experience by providing proactive, laser focused customer service
- Providing appropriate IT security and privacy in an open university society, while enabling innovation
- Supporting data-informed decision making
- Delivering intuitive research computing solutions
- Building a world-class, transformational network and reliable administrative systems
In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
ITS’s mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: https://its.umich.edu.
WHO YOU ARE
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support the university mission through innovative and appropriate use of technology. You seek understanding and to tackle projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives, roles, and identities.
You have at least a minimum of two (2) years of experience troubleshooting, repairing, maintaining and supporting computers.
- Diagnose and repair general and complex computing and printing equipment issues, including troubleshooting and resolving software and hardware problems from various vendors including but not limited to HP, Apple, Dell, Microsoft both on-site and in a workshop.
- Provide accurate and timely updates of computing equipment information (i.e. inventory and network configuration) into critical databases. As well track repairs and update customers with repair status within ticketing system
- As a vendor certified Service Provider, responsible for reviewing and authorizing repairs and maintenance performed by temporary workers and student employees. Guide and train temporary and student staff in repair and business processes and procedures using effective communication skills. Serve as a resource in the resolution of complex problems and issues.
- Order computing equipment parts to perform repairs from appropriate vendors and maintain appropriate spare parts inventories to provide quicker service.
- Move, install, configure, and upgrade printers/computers as part of the lifecycle of the equipment. This includes upgrades, replacements, and disposal of end-of-life equipment within the computer labs across campus.
- Configure network switches (e.g., Juniper and Cisco) in computer labs and printer location across campus. Troubleshoot and resolve networking issues.
- Transport computing and printing equipment to various campus locations using service vehicles.
- Work on assigned projects and collaborate with various teams to provide end to end support in computer labs and printing locations.
- Contributes, participates and shares information and ideas with the team. Develops and maintains positive and cooperative relationships, inside and outside of the workgroup, interacting in a friendly, open, and honest manner.
- Support and review the processes and procedures used in daily repair work. Identifies when established procedures are not working well and there are gaps in processes. Looks for opportunities to automate and create efficiencies in production support and makes recommendations for improvements.
- Researches and evaluates new support and repair techniques and shares knowledge with the team.
- Identifies areas of service improvements and potential future enhancements based on customer requests and feedback. Develop and update documentation of existing and new processes to help with training of new staff.
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies. Responsible for maintaining and updating knowledge of IT policies and procedures, hardware, software and technical services. This can include on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing.
- Participate in learning activities related to securing and retaining industry-recognized certifications that include, but are not limited to, certifications on Apple, Dell, HP computers and printers
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field or the equivalent combination of education, certification experience
- A minimum of two (2) years of experience troubleshooting, repairing, maintaining and supporting computers and printers (i.e., Apple, Dell, HP)
- Demonstrated experience troubleshooting and resolving operating system and application problems and networking problems.
- Experience in a customer service and/or help desk environment and working within ticketing systems.
- Experience working with POS systems.
- Experience working handling and submitting insurance claims on behalf of the customer.
- Demonstrated effective verbal communication skills including strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively through all levels of management and matrix organizations
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service.
- Authorized repair certifications from Apple, HP, Dell.
- Demonstrated experience with parts ordering, tracking and inventory control systems, including Apple, HP, Dell.
- Inventory management experience
- Experience operating large vehicles such as box trucks/vans
- Experience repairing Apple iPhones and iPads
This position will be filled at the [PC Maintenance Tech Intermediate] level salary range of ($39,615 - $51,500) as the primary goal. The requirements listed below reflect the [PC Maintenance Tech Intermediate] level expectation. Applicants with lesser experience are encouraged to apply and may be considered if the primary goal is not met. Lesser-experienced candidates will be reviewed at a [PC Maintenance Tech Associate] salary range of $35,769 - $46, 500.
**Note: This is a full-time (40 hrs/wk)
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Normal amount of sitting/standing, average mobility to move around an repair shop environment; able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer; travel to various locations on and off campus.
Also requires being able to move 70 lbs.
Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked the No. 3 public university in the 2020 U.S. News & World Report’s annual report of the nation’s best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 6 on Kiplinger’s list of Best Values in Public Colleges, again making U-M one of the nation’s best values in higher education for in-state students. The ranking highlights colleges and universities that combine outstanding education with economic value.
- For the third straight year, the University of Michigan maintained its position as the 15th top university in the world, according to the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2019-20 and ranked 21st among all institutions on the list, moving down one spot from last year in the ranking released Tuesday, 06/18/2019.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.