How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
As part of the Biomedical Research Core Facilities (BRCF), the Biomedical Research Store serves a large number of Principal Investigators (PIs) and lab staff in 4 locations: BSRB, MSRBII, LSI and NCRC. The Customer Service Representative (CSR) will rotate to any site as needed to assist while communicating with their manager and colleagues to aid customers with the supplies needed to complete their research projects. Customers could include PIs, post-doc’s, students, general laboratory staff and other BRCF core facilities staff members.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
- Independently communicate via email to receive orders and deliver products to customers
- Identify & schedule pick-up times
- Determine Product availability
- Provide delivery of products to customer as needed
- Relay exceptions (product not available, pickup/delivery time not available)
- Utilize VEND software for point of sale transactions
- Place orders online via M-Marketsite and vendor websites
- Document order problems, discrepancies, and solutions into audit trail database
- Receive and unpack product shipments weighing up to 60 pounds wearing PPE as required (gloves, lab coat and safety glasses)
Inventory & Invoices
- Independently perform weekly physical inventory of all products and reconcile against sales reports. Research and solve any discrepancies
- Independently complete daily inventory reports
- Monitor inventory levels of stocked products and recommend solutions or adjustments as needed
- Enter the strategic and non-strategic vendor invoices into the invoice database
- Verify costs of products against contract pricing and authorize payment
- Provide final payment approvals to accounts payable
- Balance daily sales reports to maintain billing and inventory accuracy
- While wearing PPE, sanitize all surfaces each day at beginning and end of day with ethanol, isopropanol or other designated cleaner.
- Record cleanings on cleaning log.
- Defrost freezers as required
- Organize products and supplies for optimal space usage
- Communicate with store staff regarding customer needs and transactions as applicable
- Participate in team meetings via zoom or other electronic platforms as needed
- Participate in the development or editing of store forms or documents
- High school diploma
- 0-2 years (Associate Level) or 3-5 years (Intermediate Level) of retail or store experience including contact with the public
- Experience with data entry, databases and spreadsheets.
- Efficiency with Microsoft Office programs, such as Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to work independently or in a team of staff on a rotational basis at all store locations
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in written format
- Able to lift, bend, push or pull boxes weighing from 15 pounds up to approximately 60 pounds during unpacking daily shipments
- Post-secondary coursework in office procedures, basic bookkeeping or accounting
- Some knowledge of University policies and procedures
Work hours are Monday-Friday
This position may be underfilled at a lower classification depending on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Michigan Medicine values a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. Here at the Biomedical Research Core Facilities (BRCF), our dedication to customer service is inseparable from our commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. It is central to our mission as an institutional resource to ensure that each member of our community has full opportunity to thrive in our environment, for we believe that diversity is key to individual flourishing, educational excellence and the advancement of knowledge.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.