How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
- Specifically outline the reasons for your interest in the position and
- Outline your particular skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) is looking for an Assistant Manager to join the Tech Shop within ITS. The Tech Shop is a retail sales and technology support business servicing Students, Faculty, Staff, Departments and Alumni of the University of Michigan.
This position, in partnership with a second Assistant Manager and the General Manager, will supervise staff responsible for daily operations of both Tech Shop stores including training, staffing and building a team of sales and service focused staff. This position will work directly with student staff to drive the mission of Tech Shop. The Assistant Manager will report directly to the Tech Shop General Manager and will be responsible for developing strong processes and procedures to ensure the campus community has access to Tech Shop services and products.
This position requires a highly qualified and experienced individual who can work collaboratively with various University partners and stakeholders. Also required are exceptional supervision and customer service skills that will provide staff and the University community strong leadership and communication necessary to implement world class customer service effectively.
Who We Are
ITS supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and enabling university wide innovations by:
- Elevating the customer experience by providing proactive, laser focused customer service
- Providing appropriate IT security and privacy in an open university society, while enabling innovation
- Supporting data-informed decision making
- Delivering intuitive research computing solutions
- Building a world-class, transformational network and reliable administrative systems
In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
ITS’s mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: https://its.umich.edu.
Who You Are
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support the university mission through innovative and appropriate use of technology. You seek understanding and to tackle projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives, roles, and identities.
You have at least three (3) years of retail sales leadership and customer service experience.
- Assist General Manager with interviewing and hiring of sales associates.
- Creates and distributes staffing schedule for store locations within Tech Shop staffing budget
- Coordinates onboarding of new sales associates and performs regular performance checks with staff to ensure aptitude. Completes coaching as needed.
- Create and maintain an attractive retail store space. Creation of stock diagrams to codify expectations. Train student staff in merchandising best practices. Maintains stock locations in Tech Shop point of sale system.
- Participate as a member of Tech Shop staff to recommend products, programs and business process improvements to Tech Shop management.
- Assist in the management of inventory, including product check-in and store transfers (under the direction of Tech Shop General Manager). Insure locations are stocked as needed and escalate stock quantity issues as appropriate.
- Ensures Tech Shop orders are fulfilled in a timely manner.
- Ensures all customer communications are promptly addressed and all replies are professional and polite.
- Advise customers (students and their parents, faculty and staff) on purchasing decisions with respect to new computer systems. Answer questions about computer configurations and assist with product and price comparisons.
- Advise customers on software offerings including compatibility minimums, platform and upgrade options, registration procedures and eligibility requirements.
- Participate as a member of Tech Shop staff to plan and execute pop-up sales at locations around Ann Arbor campus. Includes scheduling locations with site partners, processing customer pre-orders and coordinating movement of inventory to and from off-site locations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the Tech Shop website and product offerings. Be able to direct customers to the appropriate information via phone and in person.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills through active listening and problem solving. Direct non-Tech Shop queries to the appropriate service area of the university.
- Process sales transactions accurately and efficiently.
- Complete end-of-day balancing accurately and efficiently.
- Manage cash drawer reconciliations at the end of the day. Handle cash, checks and credit card transactions including cash/check deposits in accordance with University and departmental policy. This duty requires successful completion of initial training and periodic retraining.
- Store opening and closing as needed.
- Manage assigned keys, access codes, and sensitive information in a secure manner.
- As needed, support the delivery of products to departmental customers on Ann Arbor campus as part of Tech Shop Delivery program.
- Responsible for merchandising products to ensure easy shopping and to drive sales. They are responsible for cultivating a team who can maintain standards that are put in place.
- Participates in sales process improvements and the rollout of new services, assists with inventory management and store product transfers, tracks and oversees sales supplies, forms, and other sales-support materials. S/he also opens and closes two store locations, including cash drawer reconciliations and cash deposits. Handles all types of returns and troubleshoots complex transactional problems, ensures staff maintains clean and attractive work spaces
- Demonstrates effective leadership, interpersonal and communication skills, and quality service as evident by the ability to provide functional supervision for the operations of the team resulting in: workload equity for team members; compliance with standards; and services and deliverables that provide consistency and dependability and meeting customer and organizational expectations.
- Demonstrates effective problem solving, accountability, and communication skills when assisting customers by email and in person.
- Actively drive collaboration across team members, support teams, campus partners and stakeholders to understand, propose, and implement improvement requests and opportunities. Guide and assist in the analysis, planning, and testing, and implementation of processes and solutions. Establish policies, procedures, and standards to support ongoing development and process improvements. Define and conduct tracking and trends analysis to improve quality and performance metrics.
- Demonstrates effective creative problem solving and flexibility when collaborating with team members and support teams to understand, advocate for, evaluate, and support enhancements, resulting in plans and services that leverage existing capabilities and meet customer and organizational expectations.
- Demonstrate relationship building and effective communication skills through active listening and frequent communication with department staff, customers, and support teams, resulting in understanding quality improvement needs, creating buy-in for enhancements, and collaboration with staff.
- Demonstrate quality service by advocating for customer and quality improvement needs, resulting in meeting or exceeding customer satisfaction metrics.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT AND SUPPORT
- Supports project activities by completing tasks to facilitate the implementation of new or changed systems, writes status reports, and updates logs in accordance with established methodologies. Provides input to ensure the planning and execution of deliverables meet the objectives of the organization and the customer. Prioritizes the completion of tasks and resolves issues to ensure compliance to project deliverables.
- Manage the execution of the resources to the project. Develops implementation and contingency plans, and timelines for projects. Provides status reports, exchanges relevant information with management and project teams, and meets timelines. Provides accurate time estimates for tasks, identifies impacted teams, and notifies management of potential risks and issues.
- Utilize leadership, analytical, and creative problem solving skills, interpersonal and communication skills, along with standard processes and methodologies, as evident by successful management, and implementation of projects (including upgrades) resulting in effective collaboration across the organization, and project completion that meets requirements and quality expectations and is on time.
DEVELOPMENT OF SELF AND OTHERS
- Stays current with relevant advances in technologies. Responsible for maintaining and updating knowledge of IT policies and procedures, hardware, software and technical services. This can include: on-the-job training, attending technical courses or conferences, reading, research and testing. Develops and follows best practices and procedures and shares knowledge with team members.
- Demonstrates skill development by actively participating in growth opportunities for continuous development and improvement and applying new skills/knowledge to the job as evident by the ability to efficiently and effectively perform assigned duties, resulting in meeting or exceeding customer expectations and performance metrics.
- Demonstrates effective communication skills when providing training and mentoring to less-experienced staff, resulting in staff and teams using and implementing the latest policies, procedures and best practices to accomplish tasks.
- Bachelor degree in a related field and/or equivalent combination of education, certification and experience.
- Minimum of three years of retail leadership or related role requiring timeliness, organization, prioritization, troubleshooting, and working independently to successfully achieve results
- Demonstrated effective creative problem solving and flexibility when collaborating with customers, team members, support teams, external vendors, and technical organizations to understand, advocate for, evaluate, and support enhancements, resulting in plans and services that leverage the capabilities of existing technology and meet customer and organizational expectations.
- Demonstrated effective verbal communication skills including strong interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively through all levels of management and matrix organizations
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with internal and external customers in a manner that consistently meets the organization’s expectations for exemplary customer service.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and independent problem-solving skills
- Ability to influence others in the building and maintaining consensual approach with a wide array of diverse business interests
- Effectively utilize leadership and strategic thinking skills to lead strategic planning efforts to define the strategy of the training direction for the organization with alignment to the organizational training strategy and collaborate across the organization to plan and coordinate program and project team priorities.
- Experience using inventory management or point-of-sale software.
- In-depth knowledge of hardware and software products.
- Some knowledge of University rules, policies and regulations and University environment.
- Experienced in cash handling with training in PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliance.
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
Average amount of time in a stationary position, average mobility to move around an office environment; able to conduct normal amount of work at a computer; travel to various locations on and off campus; periodically moves boxes and computer equipment weighing up to 50 lbs. using proper safety techniques. Punctual, regular, and consistent attendance is required. May require on-call availability and may require working during non-business hours and on weekends.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
- The University of Michigan is ranked the No. 3 public university in the 2020 U.S. News & World Report’s annual report of the nation’s best undergraduate colleges and universities.
- The University of Michigan is ranked No. 6 on Kiplinger’s list of Best Values in Public Colleges, again making U-M one of the nation’s best values in higher education for in-state students. The ranking highlights colleges and universities that combine outstanding education with economic value.
- For the third straight year, the University of Michigan maintained its position as the 15th top university in the world, according to the Times Higher Education World Reputation Rankings.
- The University of Michigan maintained its ranking as the top U.S. public university in the QS World University Rankings for 2019-20 and ranked 21st among all institutions on the list, moving down one spot from last year in the ranking released Tuesday, 06/18/2019.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.