How to Apply
To be considered, a cover letter and resume are required. The cover letter must be the leading page of your resume and should:
Starting salaries will vary depending upon the qualifications and experience of the selected candidate.
Information and Technology Services (ITS) is looking for a Delivery Driver to join the Tech Shop within ITS. The Tech Shop is a retail sales and technology support business servicing Students, Faculty, Staff, Departments and Alumni of the University of Michigan.
This position delivers needed technology directly to U-M departments. A successful candidate will be trustworthy, motivated, self-disciplined, energetic and capable of operating independently. Technical expertise is not required, as long as a candidate demonstrates critical thinking, logical problem solving ability and a willingness to learn. This person will operate a university-owned service vehicle to deliver technoligy products to U-M Departments in the Ann Arbor area.
This position is a 50% appointment or 20 hours of work per week with potential for additional hours if there is a business need.
This position reports to the Tech Shop General Manager.
Who We Are
ITS supports U-M faculty, researchers, staff, and students in their use of technology to teach, learn, research, and work, and be leaders in their fields. We are dedicated to creating cohesive digital experiences and enabling university wide innovations by:
In addition, we value those that proactively solve challenges, work with a sense of urgency, and seek a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
ITS’s mission is to be trusted enablers of technology for the U-M community. ITS works together to provide cohesive digital experiences and seamless support to the U-M community. To learn more, visit: https://its.umich.edu.
Who You Are
You are energized by working with a collaborative team and industry peers to support the university mission through innovative and appropriate use of technology. You seek understanding and to tackle projects and problems with your customers’ needs in mind. You anticipate problems and work proactively to preempt challenges and concerns, delivering increasingly relevant customer experiences over time. You value a culture that is rooted in mutual respect, where you can learn from different perspectives, roles, and identities.
You have at least one (1) year of courier or customer service experience.
- Take Tech Shop product orders to departmental customers around campus
- Answer questions that customers may ask either in-person or over the phone
- Respond to developing situations as directed to by voice mail, email, phone calls or text
- Pull orders and prepare paper work from Tech Shop inventory and fulfillment for delivery to customers.
- Deliver outstanding customer service and utilize effective communication skills to understand and meet customer’s needs in a professional manner.
- Manage accurate delivery records and electronic devices for all material handling.
- Ensure product security is maintained in accordance with established procedure(s)
- Operate University of Michigan-owned service vehicles in a safe and efficient manner
- Operate for periods of time independent of supervision and immediate assistance from Tech Shop team members
- Responsible for cleanliness of delivery vehicles as well as scheduling general maintenance and drop off/pick-up of vehicles at UM Department of Transportation. Inform supervisor of any safety concerns or issues of University vehicles.
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Tech Shop Leadership
- Minimum of one (1) year of courier or customer service experience
- Ability to operate a university service vehicle safely and efficiently
- Ability to communicate clearly via email, letters and in person to teams and customers
- Expressed desire to learn and gain experience in the information technologies field
- Demonstrated ability to carry out tasks and directives, efficiently and accurately, independent of supervision or immediate assistance
- Ability to take the initiative and deal with developing situations as they occur
- Ability to interact with customers and fellow Tech Shop staff members in a professional and friendly manner
- Drivers license with less than 7 points on record.
- Experience as a team member
- Experience in the moving and trucking industry
- Familiarity with U-M Campus Buildings and Ann Arbor area traffic
This position may work with and/or support systems that maintain or process sensitive institutional data as defined by university policy. Successful candidates must comply with federal, state and local law and/or university policies or agreements that require the university to implement specific privacy and security safeguards including, but not limited to: ITAR, EAR, HIPAA and FISMA. Responsible for protecting data and information from unauthorized release or from loss, alteration or unauthorized deletion; and, following applicable regulations and instructions regarding access to computerized files, release of data, etc. as stated in a computer access agreement.
Delivery drivers are responsible for all traffic and parking citations and fines they incur in UM vehicles. All moving or parking citations incurred on the job must be reported to the immediate supervisor prior to the end of each shift. All new personal moving citations and/or loss of Driver license must be reported to supervisor prior to the beginning of the next shift after each occurrence.
Physical Demands / Work Environment
This position will require the ability to move heavy objects up to 50 pounds. This position will work directly out of the Tech Shop store located in the Michigan Union. In addition this position will be required to travel in a University provided vehicle to any UM buildings located within the Ann Arbor area.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
The University of Michigan Information and Technology Services seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to maintain the excellence of the University and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
The University of Michigan Benefits Office is committed to offering a high-quality benefits package to support faculty, staff and their families. Learn more about our 2:1 retirement matching, healthcare plans with nationwide coverage including prescription drug coverage, three dental plans, a vision plan, flexible spending account, well-being programs, long-term disability, automatic life insurance, general legal services, three early childhood centers, time away from work and work-life programs to promote balance. Learn more at https://hr.umich.edu/benefits-wellness
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.