How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
What You'll Do
The Custodial Services Manager Senior has overall responsibility for the cleanliness and sanitation for one of four areas on campus. This position is responsible for providing the leadership and direction necessary to manage the day-to-day business operations of Custodial Services and ensure compliance with the department’s cleaning guidelines. In this role, the manager will provide training and development support for up to eight supervisors as well as 100+ custodial staff. As a member of the leadership team, reporting to the Director of Custodial and Grounds Services, this position assists with the development and execution of the department’s strategic vision.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future.
Who We Are
Facilities and Operations (F&O) has primary responsibility for the stewardship of the university's physical properties, including 37 million square feet of building space. We are responsible for sophisticated and complex academic, research and clinical facilities, as well as associated environmental stewardship and regulatory compliance. F&O is a positive organization dedicated to the principles of being respectful, collaborative, solutions-based, and proactive.
Serving the U-M community, Custodial & Grounds Services are the stewards of the buildings and grounds that make the Ann Arbor campus of the University of Michigan unique. Our employees are dedicated to the preservation of the academic and hospital campuses and pride themselves in giving exceptional customer service while conserving, enhancing, and maintaining more than 26 million square feet of property.
In Facilities and Operations, the Custodial Services department is a 24 hours a day, 7 days a week operation that provides critical service to the University. We have over 450 custodians, maintenance mechanics and warehouse staff.
Why Work at Michigan?
Being part of something greater, of serving a larger mission of discovery and care — that's the heart of what drives people to work at Michigan. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. It's adding a purpose to your profession. Work at Michigan and become a victor for the greater good.
In addition to a career filled with purpose and opportunity, The University of Michigan offers a comprehensive benefits package to help you stay well, protect yourself and your family and plan for a secure future. Benefits include:
- Generous paid time off for vacations, holidays, and sick time
- A retirement plan that provides two-for-one matching contributions with immediate vesting
- Many choices for comprehensive health insurance
- Dental, Vision, and Life insurance
- Long-term disability coverage
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Paid maternity and parental leave
- University commitment to providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities
- Create and maintain a positive environment that supports staff development and training, and a strong commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion.
- Plan work activities and establish work schedules and staffing requirements for supervisors and frontline staff.
- Responsible for selecting, hiring, monitoring, evaluating, and disciplining supervisory and union staff.
- Assure compliance with safety programs, maintaining safety standards to assure compliance with University, state and federal codes and regulations.
- Provide financial and budgetary oversight for personnel and procurement activities; ensure compliance with established financial and staffing guidelines.
- Assist supervisors with planning for special custodial projects and coordinating with building occupants and other units within Facilities Management.
- Serve as unit primary contact with key facility managers and other campus partners.
- Provides appropriate and effective communication to ensure the highest level of customer service.
- Respond to emergencies and after-hours calls that sometimes may require working off shift and on the weekend.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent combination of experience and education
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of progressive leadership experience within a custodial, facility management, or customer service environment
- Demonstrated knowledge of custodial operations including the materials and equipment
- Demonstrated history of providing excellent customer service
- Demonstrated proficiency with Google Sheets (Excel) and Google Docs (Word) and Gmail
- Ability to work collaboratively and communicate effectively within a diverse and multicultural environment
- Ability to effectively problem solve and implement continuous improvement activities
- Ability to foster a professional, team-oriented environment that demonstrates a commitment to customer service, flexibility and confidentiality
- Ability to work in a union environment and with collective bargaining agreements
- Exceptional written and verbal communication with the ability to tailor communications for various audiences
- Strong supervision and organizational skills with attention to detail and an ability to work under pressure and complete multiple tasks on-time
- Understand and value diversity and the importance of inclusion as demonstrated through a commitment to apply and incorporate the differences, complexities, and opportunities that diversity brings to an organization
- Master’s degree within a relevant field of study
- 3 years or more of direct management experience overseeing multiple supervisors in the custodial field
- Experience working within a team cleaning environment (e.g. OS1)
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of the AFSCME contract
- Experience using Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS)
- Experience using CompuClean Cleaning Management Software or a similar janitorial software
- Ability to read and interpret building floor plans and specifications related to Custodial operations
- Considerable knowledge of University policies and procedures
Custodial Services is a 24/7 operation. The typical working schedule for this position is M-F business hours (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.), but this position is required to spend time on the afternoon and midnight shifts.
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the university, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.