How to Apply
This is an Advanced Practice Professional (APP) job opening.
Both qualified NP and PA applicants will be considered.
NPs are directed to apply to job # 205522 and PAs are directed to apply to job # 205524
A total of one(1), 1.0 FTE, Advanced Practice Professional (either NP or PA) will be hired to fill this job opening.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Why Join Michigan Medicine?
Michigan Medicine is one of the largest health care complexes in the world and has been the site of many groundbreaking medical and technological advancements since the opening of the U-M Medical School in 1850. Michigan Medicine is comprised of over 30,000 employees and our vision is to attract, inspire, and develop outstanding people in medicine, sciences, and healthcare to become one of the world’s most distinguished academic health systems. In some way, great or small, every person here helps to advance this world-class institution. Work at Michigan Medicine and become a victor for the greater good.
What Benefits can you Look Forward to?
- Excellent medical, dental and vision coverage effective on your very first day
- 2:1 Match on retirement savings
Under physician supervision, the APP will be expected to:
- Conduct complete outpatient clinic/virtual visits for patients in the Movement Disorders Clinic and Deep Brain Stimulation Clinic and perform detailed history and physical examinations
- Prepare and present clinical data in an organized and thorough fashion to supervising physicians.
- Develop problem-based care plans, prepare orders, and prescribe medications.
- Order and interpret diagnostic labs, radiologic studies, ancillary testing.
- Collaborate with other health care providers/consultants to coordinate clinical care, and provide coordination across the care continuum for these clinic patients and their families.
- Maintain accurate and timely patient documentation.
- Provide educational experiences for health care professionals.
- Participate in development, implementation, evaluation and outcome monitoring of clinical care provision.
- Participate as a team member in clinical research programs for patients experiencing movement disorders.
- Attend conferences and meetings pertinent to patient care and advancing medical education within the departments of Neurology and Geriatric Medicine.
- Attend conferences and continuing education/staff development programs to maintain knowledge of current literature. Participate in professional organizations
- Participate in quality assurance activities and group team meetings such as Lean Projects, QI meetings, and Movement Disorders Clinic team meetings.
- Assure patient safety and satisfaction.
- Utilize new improvements and/or technologies that relate to job assignments.
- Work effectively with and serve as an educational resource for the multidisciplinary clinic team.
Role responsibilities may be periodically adjusted as determined by the needs of the clinical program.
NP Required Qualifications
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification to practice as an Adult-Gerontology Primary Care Nurse Practitioner or Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- Current DEA registration required
- AHA approved BLS certification
PA Required Qualifications
- Satisfactory completion of a Physician Assistant program accredited by Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor agencies, CAHEA or CAAHEP.
- Certification by the National Commission on Certification for Physician Assistants (NCCPA).
- Current license to practice as a Physician Assistant in the State of Michigan.
- State of Michigan Controlled Substance License Required
- Current DEA registration required
- AHA approved BLS certification
* In order to be considered for this position the applicant must have met or will have met all the required qualifications prior to the start date of employment.
* Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- At least two years recent (in the last five years) NP/PA experience caring for geriatric outpatients.
- Experience caring for patients with Parkinson’s disease and related movement disorders and the non-motor symptoms that accompany these disorders.
- Demonstrated ability to complete history and physical examinations; order appropriate diagnostic studies; synthesize information and make informed clinical decisions; develop appropriate care plans; and be responsive to patient and family preferences.
- Excellent communication skills required with patients, family, staff and physicians.
- Computer skills including medical record documentation.
- The provider must demonstrate a high level of critical thinking and medical knowledge by using current medical information and scientific evidence for patient care.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize assignments and manage a busy work environment.
- Ability to recognize and manage delirium and behavioral disturbances.
- Familiarity with medications to treat these conditions and their common side effects.
- Experience in administering standardized clinical tests for cognitive, mood, cerebrovascular symptom screening.
- Demonstrated experience providing support for patient's families including education about Parkinson’s disease and related disorders.
- Demonstrated ability to be responsive to patient and family needs.
- Familiarity with community programs, hospice programs and advanced directives.
- Ability to recognize elder abuse.
- Demonstrated excellent teaching abilities.
Shift/Hours/Days: Day Shift, Monday through Friday
Location: East Ann Arbor
Internal Medicine Clinics: Neurology- Movement Disorders Clinic
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the United Physician Assistants of Michigan Medicine, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act. Pre-employment drug testing applies to all selected candidates, including new or additional faculty and staff appointments, as well as transfers from other U-M campuses.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Physician Assistant opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail UMHS_PArecruit@med.umich.edu. For a current listing of all open PA job opportunities at Michigan Medicine, please visit www.UMHSpa.org.
Michigan Medicine seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan and to maintain the excellence of the University. We welcome applications from anyone who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research, teaching, and clinical mission, including women, members of minority groups, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities. Michigan Medicine, like the University of Michigan as a whole, is committed to a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity for all persons and will not discriminate against any individual because of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.