How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Office of the Vice President for Research is seeking a highly motivated and organized individual to join our administrative team as an Executive Secretary to perform advanced, diversified and confidential administrative and secretarial duties. This position requires broad administrative support experience and knowledge of university policies and practices, and will partner with and provide high-level support for executive directors and directors or others as assigned. Tasks will include calendar, committee, event, meeting, and travel support. This position will also provide general administrative support for the office. This includes various tasks such as performing reception duties, processing incoming and outgoing mail, organizing supplies, scheduling, preparing, and confirming conference and meeting rooms, and other miscellaneous projects and duties as assigned.
- Perform advanced, diversified and confidential administrative and secretarial support for assigned executive directors and directors or others as assigned. Tasks will vary based on needs and priorities, and will include overall coordination and management of executive assistant activities including calendar, committee, event, meeting, and travel support, and communications with stakeholders.
- As a member of the administrative team, provide high-level administrative services to support efficient daily operations of the office. This includes providing backup executive level support for executive assistants.
- Provide general administrative services to support the daily operations of the office including reception duties, organizing supplies, sorting mail, maintaining conference rooms and calendars, and printing, scanning, and mailing documents and materials as needed.
- Lead and/or assist with event logistical support for virtual and on-site programs including room reservations, set up and clean up, meeting materials, catering orders, and other support as requested by event lead.
- Other duties and projects as assigned.
- At least 5-7 years of broad and progressive administrative experience performing advanced, diversified and confidential duties.
- Proven ability to work professionally with the public and serve as a representative of the office with discretion.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Ability to work flexibly and independently, set priorities, work simultaneously on numerous tasks, use good judgement and initiative, and meet/exceed deadlines.
- Possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Friendly, dependable, and professional with a welcoming personality.
- Has a proven record of displaying strong attention to detail, deep dedication to customer service, and a team approach to work. Possess exceptional office technology skills including Microsoft products, virtual platforms, and room A/V systems, and a willingness to learn and master new technologies as needed.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.