How to Apply
Applications are welcomed and encouraged from all qualified individuals regardless of background and identity. To apply, please complete the application on the U-M Careers site. A one-page cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in this position and outline experience that directly relates to it. Application must include driver's license number in order to be considered for the position.
Logistics is seeking qualified candidates for the position of Material Expediter to join our Material Services team. The Expediter position is a key part of the Material Services Team that assists the needs of multiple units and will support the maintenance of buildings across campus. This role requires an individual with excellent customer service skills, a strong sense of self-motivation, and a demonstrated ability to work in teams.
A Material Expediter transports materials and personnel to and from job sites, all across campus. Materials may come from an on campus warehouse or from a variety of suppliers in Lower Michigan. Construction and maintenance materials are used to modify existing areas and to keep the buildings up to date and functioning for the tenants who work within them.
Who We Are
The Material Service Unit is a support service to the Maintenance, Construction and Utilities work groups within Facilities & Operations. The Material Service Unit’s inventory consists of maintenance, repair and operations (MRO) materials commonly used on a daily basis. Customers shop freely; completing and turning in requisitions at the counter upon exiting the area. These requisitions are processed daily and the charges are service unit billed by the contracted supplier monthly. Over 15,000 items are stocked and available for pick up. Staff can source special ordered or non-stock materials for pick up. Special ordered or non-stock materials can be delivered to the job site as these materials will ship from the selected supplier’s distribution center.
- This is a physically demanding job: climbing in and out of large trucks, carrying parts up and down stairs, and moving heavy equipment every day.
- Deliver, pick up and redeliver materials, construction tools and equipment to and from job sites.
- Safely secure and arrange stock by utilizing restraining devices such as ropes, binder chains and protective pads.
- Transport trades employees to and from job sites.
- Dispatch, initiate and maintain records and reports, and inventory control lists of salvage or surplus material.
- Clean storage areas, tools and equipment including your assigned vehicle.
- Maintain vehicle fluid levels and report maintenance/repair needs.
- Consistent heavy lifting through the day, drywall, bags of cement, bundles of pipe, etc.
- Various work environments/delivery areas - delivery of heavy items up and down stairs may be necessary.
- Must be able to move and transport heavy items for an extended period of time throughout the day.
- A chauffeur's license and a good driving record are necessary - MUST HAVE A CURRENT CHAUFFEUR´S LICENSE AT THE TIME OF APPLICATION.
- Graduation from high school or equivalent is necessary.
- Reasonable experience in building construction/maintenance, or in the purchase of building materials, equipment and supplies is necessary.
- This position requires transporting a variety of materials throughout campus, some of which are odd shaped or oversized using a University vehicle.
- The candidate must meet the qualifications to drive and operate a University vehicle: Valid chauffeurs license with less than 7 points and ability to pass a University D.O.T exam.
- Delivery of items may occur at loading docks or building entrances that have steps.
- The successful candidate must be able to utilize dollies, carts, pallet jacks and other equipment to move and transport objects.
- Candidate must be willing and able to be licensed by the University to drive a forklift and all arial lifts.
- Must be able to move and transport heavy objects, frequently and at times for extended periods of time.
- Experience pulling and backing trailers, open top and enclosed.
- All certifications and licensing must be current and up to date at the time of application.
- Experience securing and moving Single Man, 2-man and boom lifts.
- Knowledge of Campus and ability to easily traverse throughout.
Monday - Friday, 7:00am-3:15pm
Facilities and Operations seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitment to serve the diverse people of Michigan, to sustain the excellence of the University, and to offer our students richly varied disciplines, perspectives and ways of knowing and learning.
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the UM and the UM Skilled Trades Union, Inc., which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.