How to Apply
Interested candidates should contact should contact the lab director Prof. Geeta Mehta by e-mail (email@example.com). In your message, please include detailed Curriculum Vitae, electronic reprints of recent publications, and the names, and contact information for at least three references.
The individual selected for this position will be asked to conduct supervised research projects in the area of tissue engineering, biomaterials, 3-D cell culture, on the development of ovarian and breast cancers drug screening models. Be responsible for growing, culturing, and maintaining rare patient derived cancer cells in 3-D cell culture platforms. Study the drug dose response to a variety of anti-neoplastic drugs in 3-D cell cultures and in rodents. Perform histological techniques; tissue preparation, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization, histomorphometry, confocal microscopy, etc. Conduct tissue culture studies with bacteria, primary cells and established cell lines for the studies mentioned above. Perform molecular biology techniques: lentiviral transfection, DNA cloning and isolation, RNA isolation for cDNA production, single cell RNA-seq, bulk RNA-seq, and PCR-based technologies. Conduct protein analysis including Western blotting for signal transduction molecules and protein microarray assays for protein and gene expression in cells. Collect, analyze, and process laboratory biological and material samples. Travel to different labs and core facilities within campus to obtain samples and conduct experiments. Responsible for procurement of samples from various collaborator labs and performing analysis. Train undergraduate and graduate students on lab techniques. Maintain a quality laboratory notebook and have ability to prepare research findings for subsequent publication and presentation. Skillfully perform data analysis, word processing and graphics. Manage lab record keeping and data management. Manage the disposal of hazardous and biological waste within the lab. Keep the laboratory stocked with supplies and reagents. Coordinate lab and computer equipment upgrades, repairs and services within the lab.
Michigan Engineering’s vision is to be the world’s preeminent college of engineering serving the common good. This global outlook, leadership focus and service commitment permeate our culture. Our vision is supported by a mission and values that, together, provide the framework for all that we do. Information about our vision, mission and values can be found at: http://strategicvision.
The University of Michigan has a storied legacy of commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). The Michigan Engineering component of the University’s comprehensive, five-year, DEI strategic plan—along with updates on our programs and resources dedicated to ensuring a welcoming, fair and inclusive environment—can be found at: http://www.engin.umich.
Who We Are
The Mehta Lab in MSE/BME is interested in hiring a postdoctoral fellow immediately http://ecm.engin.umich.edu.
Technical Lab Duties: (Total 90%)
1) Conduct independent and supervised research projects in the area of tissue engineering, biomaterials, 3-D cell culture, on the development of ovarian and breast cancers drug screening models. (20%)
2) Growing, culturing, and maintaining rare patient derived cancer cells in 3-D cell culture platforms including organoids, tumoroids, microfluidics and macro-bioreactors. (20%)
3) Maintain a quality laboratory notebook and have ability to write scientific reports, prepare publication quality Figures and Tables, and research findings for subsequent publications, annual reports, and presentations. (10%)
4) Histological techniques; tissue preparation, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization, histomorphometry, confocal microscopy, etc. (5%)
5) Tissue culture studies with bacteria, primary cells and established cell lines for the studies mentioned above. (5%)
6) Molecular biology techniques: DNA cloning and isolation, RNA isolation for scRNA-seq, RNA-seq, Bru-seq, and cDNA production and PCR-based technologies.(5%)
7) Protein analysis including Western blotting for signal transduction molecules and protein microarray assays for protein and gene expression in cells. (5%)
8) Collect, analyze, and process laboratory biological and material samples. Will need to travel to different labs within campus and within the country to obtain samples. (3%)
9) Responsible for procurement of samples from various collaborator labs and performing analysis. (2%)
11) Skilled in the use of computer for data analysis (Graphpad Prism), word processing and graphics. (5%)
12) Mentor and train students (undergrads, Master’s, PhD, high school) on specific aspects of projects. (10%)
General Lab duties: (total 10%)
1) Manage lab record keeping and data management. (2%)
2) Manage the disposal of hazardous and biological waste within the lab. (3%)
3) Keep the laboratory stocked with supplies and reagents. (2%)
4) Coordinate lab and computer equipment upgrades, repairs and services within the lab. (3%)
Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Materials Science and Engineering, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or Molecular Biology. The candidate must have excellent experimentation, and communication (oral, written) skills. At least 1-3 years of practical laboratory experience in aspects of molecular/cellular biology, 3-D cell culture and tissue engineering.
Willingness to work with bacterial and mammalian cultures and cells, and developing cell lines from primary human tumors. Laboratory experience with animals (rodents) and cell and tissue cultures. Demonstrated ability in conducting independent and supervised research. Excellent communication skills. Highly proficient in English, both written and verbal. Self-motivated. Willingness and ability to acquire new skills. Excellent organizational skills. Excellent attention to detail. Excellent ability to multi task. Excellent attendance record. Excellent ability to work in a team environment and take instruction and manage expectations from multiple Principal Investigators and multiple labs across campus and country. Willingness to create and manage both IRB and UCUCA protocols. Experience with scientific writing (i.e, thesis, manuscripts, protocols). Ability to design and conduct experiments for multiple research projects at the same time. Ability to interpret and present data in the group meetings of all participating labs. Ability to write manuscripts and prepare publications/posters based on the research conducted. Must read relevant scientific literature and be well versed in the cutting edge science in the field of study. Theoretical knowledge in the above listed techniques.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.