How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Development Assistant, which reports directly to the Vice President and Chief Development Officer, provides administrative, stewardship, and gift processing support to a team of six at one of the country’s most dynamic performing arts organizations. The successful candidate will demonstrate the ability to manage multiple projects with varying timelines with acute attention to detail, and to build high-quality relationships with staff, donors, and volunteers. These activities occur with an eye toward attracting, maintaining, and increasing philanthropy in support of UMS’s mission and programs, including actively supporting UMS’s anti-racism goals.
This position is based in Ann Arbor, MI. Due to the nature of the work, including handling of sensitive financial information, most work will be performed in-person, either on site at UMS’s office or in venues.
Administrative Support (40%)
- Answers and ensures coverage for the department's central phone line
- Maintain holistic overview of UMS activities, including development, for donors
- Reconciles expense budget and monthly accounts as well as American Express/P Card Statements
- Support gift officers as needed with travel arrangements and briefing reports using DART and Tessitura
- Updates DART and Tessitura records as needed
- Represent Development at weekly UMS production meetings
- Drafts performance and event briefings for development staff, UMS President, and volunteers
- Support development staff as needed with preparation of materials for the UMS Board, Development Committee, Nominating Committee, National/Campaign Council, and Sustaining Directors
- Other duties as needed and assigned
- Logistics lead for all UMS Development stewardship and corporate sponsor receptions: secure space, catering, and prepare or coordinate invitations as necessary, prepares name tags and signage, and staffs events appropriately to ensure a seamless and high-quality experience for guests and partners
- Manages fulfillment of donor and sponsor benefits, including signing of photographs or other mementos, and, distribution of tickets and parking passes
- Manages sponsor credits in program book inserts, pre-performance announcements, and in-venue signage
- Assist Annual Giving Manager with personal thank-you calls/notes and other outreach
- Assist with corporate stewardship, including fulfilment of Corporate Champion profiles, program book ads, and other elements as needed
Gift Processing (20%)
- Process donations made to UMS by corporations, matching gifts, grants, foundations and individuals including special event registrations in the Tessitura system, including processing credit cards and reconciling all payment types and batches; create gift processing forms to send with donations to U-M Office of University Development for deposit and further processing
- Reconcile gifts and pledges on a monthly basis with information in Tessitura and University system, making sure that all gifts and pledges appear on the UM-OUD system (DART); fix any discrepancies that exist between the two systems
Skills You Have
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent customer service skills including the ability to work well with a diverse group of staff, donors and volunteers with diplomacy and tact
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as to work independently and take initiative
- Meticulous attention to detail and ability to handle confidential information with sensitivity
- Maintain grace and calm under pressure
- Strong computer fluency with MS Office and Google Suite
- Experience working in a relational/customer relationship management database
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends during the UMS season as needed
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and stand for long periods of time on occasion
- Must have valid drivers license and reliable transportation
- College degree strongly encouraged
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience with the U-M DART system as well as a ticketing database system such as Tessitura
- Experience managing events
Housed on the campus of the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, UMS is one of the oldest performing arts presenters in the country, committed to connecting audiences with performing artists from around the world in uncommon and engaging experiences. With a program steeped in music, dance, and theater, UMS contributes to a vibrant cultural community by presenting approximately 60-75 performances and over 100 free educational activities each season. UMS also commissions new work, sponsors artist residencies, and organizes collaborative projects with local, national, and international partners.
UMS was selected as one of the 2014 recipients of the National Medal of Arts, the nation’s highest public artistic honor. For more information on UMS visit www.ums.org.
UMS values a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are committed to the development of staff who thrive and contribute to a positive and inclusive environment.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. The review and selection process may begin as early as the eighth day after posting. This opening may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
U-M COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
COVID-19 vaccinations are now required for all University of Michigan students, faculty and staff across all three campuses, including Michigan Medicine. This includes those working or learning remotely. More information on this policy is available on the Campus Blueprint website or the U-M Dearborn and U-M Flint websites.